Monday, June 8, 2015

Almost Abandoned.

Roosevelt baths

In the depths of winter a group of gal-pals and I treated ourselves to a Roosevelt Baths visit. It was, in case there was any doubt, a bath-lovers dream. Especially in January, when things are starting to look pretty bleak. Located in a sprawling park, some of the buildings from the baths original incarnation weren't yet remodeled, and the result was that in the distance some of these buildings were sort of creepily institutional. At least, until recently. I've heard that in the somewhat recent past you could get inside and wander around the individual bathing rooms with their 1930s era tubs and tile (which, to be honest is still intact in the houses that are renovated) but inspecting the buildings these days it looks like a new life is in the works for them. Of course the new ones are lovely for actual use, but my old things loving heart gets all aflutter over cracking paint on door frames. 

Bath house explorations
Dress: Vintage via jessjamesjake on etsy, Bag: thrifted, Shoes: Madewell, old. 

The nice thing is a day spent in the park isn't lost at all, and we spent some time wandering the outdoor hallways (what are those even called, really?), lolling about in the grass absorbing some sun, before heading back into town proper to buy candy and baked goods, rounding out the day at dinner with friends. 

Bath house explorations

Bath house explorations

Pretty typical early summer weekend vibes, where I wanna be pretty but unfussy--ending up in this dress maybe more than twice a week. Jess sent me a shot of it on one of her out-of-town thrifting excursions, and I wanted it. Or, I thought I wanted it. I wasn't 100% certain, but I was pretty sure. Trying it on sealed the deal (doesn't it always?) and I brought this beauty home. It's got that nipped-in waist full-skirt thing that makes summer bearable. 

Bath house explorations

Sometimes I'm like, is a dress by itself really an outfit? Is it worth a post? I feel like I need a vest, a jacket, some extra piece to make it worthy. In the end though I'm a sucker for some true-blue this is what I wore realism, that accessible honesty thing it seems like the internet is obsessed with in an authentic hashtag kind of way (I don't mean to sound irritated here--I love all of this stuff) and aren't the clothes someone throws on most often the most interesting? Maybe not. Either way, love this beauty of a dress. 

Bath house explorations

Thanks to this guy for being an obliging photographer and snapping these!

3 comments: