Thursday, April 16, 2015

Mithril.

I bought this sweater at work based entirely on the fact that it looks as much like Bilbo's/Frodo's mithril vest/shirt from The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings as possible without actually being a chain-mail or otherwise armor-related garment. It's like secret-nerd nod, with just myself, so I can think yes, today, I am feeling more middle-earth than usual. Not that I usually keep that kind of thing a secret but, still. 

Mithril

Mithril
Sweater, Skirt, Bracelet, Shoes, Socks: All J. Crew (bracelet and shoes from previous seasons, the rest all current), Tote: fieldguided

I mean, I waited for it to go on sale, I made sure I really wanted it, but every day at work I'd check and see if it had been marked down. 

Mithril

Mithril

This outfit is a rarity (sort of. For a blog post anyway) in that I'm wearing almost entirely J. Crew. Anyone who knows me beyond this blog knows I work there, and I'm pretty sure the most cursory investigation of my instagram feed would show the obvious. Plus it is rare that an outfit on here won't contain something from the brand. I've just always felt a bit odd about stating it here, and I generally try to mix it up and throw in some vintage but occasionally it fits together in a way and I think well, after so many years it's bound to happen. 

Mithril

To be honest, I haven't been buying as much at work this year (I'm trying to be better about my purchases), but these two pieces were ones I couldn't resist. The skirt is a little out of my comfort zone--I always admire midi skirts, but pleated ones like this make me feel really hip-py (as in, wide-hipped rather than free-spirited or whatever) and conscious. I've decided to care about that kind of thing less. It's hard, my default safety zone of mini-skirt is really hard to turn down, but I also really enjoy looking down and seeing iridescent pink micro-pleats, and not worrying about wind or picking something up off the ground in a short skirt. 

We'll see if I keep it up. 

Thanks to Jess for snapping these pictures!

8 comments:

  1. I love everything you are wearing Kate!!! Especially loving how you pair socks with ladylike heels....so perfect!!!
    -Madison
    www.1minniemuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This look is so wonderful and you're right, the sweater really does look like a modern day take on LOTR. Such a beautiful colour palette. Gorgeous.

    Rachel | www.currentlyrachel.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo this looks much better and more Mithril-y in person on you than in the product shots online! I love having a little secret reference point for an outfit even if it's not super overt to obvious to anyone else haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the nerd-nod, your whole look is great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the outfit pairing. LOTR nerds unite! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coming from another hip-py lady, curvy hips are something to be proud of. I've learned to love that part of me. And you look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! Really love your pastel blog post <3

    Come visit my blog :)
    WHITE JOURNAL by Marissa Abigail
    www.marissaabigail.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete