Monday, March 2, 2015

The Hats I Don't Wear.

A side effect of collecting vintage is I've ended up with a pile of vintage hats that split their time being housed in various picturesque hat boxes, or hanging on nails on my walls. Rarely they'll end up on my head, although I often plan to top off an outfit with one. It just never quite makes it out of the house, since I don't like to fuss with my hair much once it's done, and I find that vintage hats are much tricker to wear without bordering on costume.

Hats I don't wear

Most of the ones I've collected have come from estate sales, where it's easy to drop 5$ on a hat because even if I don't wear it ever, it'll look cute on the wall or thrown haphazardly over a lampshade, but over the last year or so I've started dropping more than just pocket-change on some of the prettier, more confection-inspired looking ones. 

It doesn't increase the frequency with which they're worn though. 

Hats I don't wear

Hats I don't wear

I'm not super familiar with hat-wearing, it's an area of vintage-wear that I've been pretty lax in learning about. Which styles require a hatpin? What do I do with my hair? How far back on the head should this thing sit? Is there a way to hide bobby-pins? So most of the time, rather than even bothering to google, I just sort of try them on at home and then leave the house in something expected (straw cloches in summer, little knit hats with pins attached in winter, sometimes a beret if I feel jaunty.

Hats I don't wear

These are three of my favorites, three that I pretty frequently try to sneak into outfits, but I've got piles of them lying around. Eternally searching for the perfect 60s daisy hat, for no real reason except a strange summer-hungry craving. 

Hats I don't wear
I love a good mid-blink outtake

I'm also sick of winter, like everyone in the poor Northeast right now, thinking about how the season didn't end until late-April last year, dreading going outside. The beginning of the year has been off to a bit of a rough start (trips to the ER for some fainting spells--I'm fine--flu shots followed by nasty colds, the highs and lows of applying for new jobs), so today was a big push for back to blogging, applying makeup that makes me happy, giving up leggings and sweaters for something, anything, else. Fingers crossed I can keep this up, I think there's some fun blog-stuff in the works for the next few months! In the meantime, bathroom dress-up and indoor outfit posts are on the agenda. 

8 comments:

  1. I have the exact same problem. I adore vintage hats, and do frequently buy them but I don't think I have ever once worn one out, except maybe on Easter?
    -Madison
    www.1minniemuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same problem. And I have very limited storage for pretty things I don't wear, which makes the hat collecting even more difficult. I love all of these. (Mid-blink, even more so.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a little off-topic, but I love your crescent moon necklace! Where did you find it?

    P.S. There's about 17 days left of spring, so we're getting there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate! You look beautiful! Thank you for wearing my necklace!

    Melissa, the moon necklace is one of my designs. Please check it out at camillecarnevale.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are absolutely gorgeous! I love vintage hats, even though I have none yet.
    x Angela // http://the-style-doll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. the atmosphere of your photos is just breathaking

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely collection of hats! I love hats too but don't wear them nearly as often as I would like to. They certainly are fun to pull out for special occasions or just playing dress-up around the house.

    PS: My rule of thumb with hat-pins is to wear them whenever there is a risk the hat might otherwise fall off (or when you might need a handy weapon concealed in your hat. Those things are sharp!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have SO many hats that I love and don't wear enough. Let's make hats a thing again! ;)

    ReplyDelete