Monday, October 6, 2014

First Falling.

It's fall for real. I've spent more days than not the last few weeks in tights, remembering how much more myself and better I feel in these kinds of clothes. There's an urgency in autumn, like we know the leaves are going to change and there's only a good week or two when everything is really aflame, and already I have the tiniest of knots in my gut that's dreading the long winter. Of course there's nothing to be done about it, and the weather is a boring topic, as though there isn't anything more interesting or original to write or think about, so I might as well slurp up these golden days and enjoy them. 

Fall bliss.

You know (you don't) I first saw this dress almost exactly a year ago? A little shop in Burlington, VT had it, and even though I had an extra little cushion of spending money burning a hole in my pocket, I left it behind. I even went back at the end of the day to visit it, think about it, and then never did a darned thing about it. It popped up here and there on other blogs and online shops, and I kept thinking about it on at least a monthly basis. Finally, a few weeks ago I thought well, if you're still mulling it over a year later you might as well bite the bullet and go for it. It has planets and stars on it for goodness sake! Why did I wait so long?

Fall bliss.

Fall bliss.

Fall bliss.
Dress: Family Affairs Life on Mars Dress, Tights: look in burgundy, Socks: J. Crew, Boots: Steve Madden Fall 2013, Bag: J. Crew (sold out), Jacket: J. Crew fall 2009

Then of course I had plans. A hat that is a favorite but has never quite gone with anything, a certain bag, hair-do, shoes, hosiery. It all fell through. My hair was flat and un-set from a night staying up too late laughing over dumb tv-shows, there was a promise of a sunny fall afternoon but the shoes were wildly impractical. A pair of tights purchased the previous afternoon (rainy, feeling urge for a new treat, drawn to the color) threw a wrench in the whole thing so that I just went well, throw on the big ugly socks and boots that are falling apart and do that whole honest-outfit blog thing. 

Fall bliss.

Fall bliss.

Fall bliss.

I mean, it's better that way right? I love a good gussied-up bit, with everything matching in that slightly-off just-so kind of way and I do often run around in some pair of slightly impractical footwear for the sake of my own amusement, but I also end up throwing on the boots that are peeling at the sole, or the flats that offer almost no support anymore. Not that either is really better, just, I suppose since the last several posts have been a little fantastical it's nice to switch the gears for something a little bit more indicative of my every day. 

Fall bliss.

Fall bliss.

These are also the really choice weeks when outfits are pretty much exactly what I want them to be. in a month or so it'll be cold, and I'll end up in flannel-lined jeans or thick leggings and 3 sweaters, sad that I can't wear dainty little shoes because of the salt and snow. But you know, for now everything is burnished gold and red and it's all walks outside and everything smells like dirt. In a good way. 

Fall bliss.

Fall bliss.

Thanks to David for snapping a bunch of these!

12 comments:

  1. Looove love love this dress on you, Kater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that dress! Also, I always feel more like myself when it's cold outside and I can wear boots and sweaters. So happy it's the best time of year again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that dress on you! We're entering Spring/Summer here in Australia so I'm embracing for long hot days and very little clothing! I love seeing the difference in seasons via blogs.
    C x
    http://www.mumscloset.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This outfit is too dreamy. I too love dressing in the in-between months, it's a joy to layer without excess or restraint. You're really gorgeous, and your setting is stunning to match :3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, for one, love this reality of yours as much as the fantasy. There's nothing silly in marveling at the seasons as they change, and nothing silly at all in loving the way you dress for different seasons. I also feel this year that my autumn wardrobe might be exciting to put together. I used to have trouble with all that layering bit, I kept overanalyzing whether this goes well with that and all this stuff but this year I try to just go with gut feeling (and sometimes I barefacedly copy others' outfits based on what I own, just to learn). So thanks for your lesson ;).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely fall photos! You've inspired me to go find a woodland area and take some outfit pictures. I adore your blog! Pleased I've stumbled across it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about the fantasy-type outfits vs everyday ones; I think part of having a fashion blog, for me, is to present outfits that I wish I was wearing all day rather than what I actually AM wearing all day, although most of the time I try to only post outfits I've actually gone places in. But I think this outfit is just as lovely as your others! That dress is so cute, and I actually really love it with the tights and boots.
    xo
    Kristina
    www.eccentricowl.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Precisely why I had my epiphany:

    Wanna see a perfectly cognizant, fully-spectacular, Son-ripened-Heaven?? … yet, I’m not sure if we're on the same page if you saw what I saw. Greetings, earthling. Because I was an actual NDE on the outskirts of the Great Beyond at 15 yet wasn’t allowed in, lemme share with you what I actually know Seventh-Heaven’s Big-Bang’s gonna be like: meet this advanced, bombastic, ex-mortal Upstairs for the most extra-groovy-paradox, pleasure-beyond-measure, Ultra-Yummy-Reality-Addiction in the Great Beyond for a BIG-ol, kick-ass, party-hardy, robust-N-risqué-passion you DO NOT wanna miss the sink-your-teeth-in-the-smmmokin’-hot-deal. Cya soon…

    ReplyDelete
  9. That dress is, of course, so so cute ... but I have to comment on your amazing monogram necklace! Where is it from? I've been on the hunt for a monogram necklace for the past few months and I haven't seen anything similar to yours before and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE The Dress!!! You pretty much summed up my fall wardrobe, because I live in tights, socks and boots! After All, that is what FALL is all about:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely fall photos <3
    Your dress is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw one of these photos on pinterest and thought for sure you lived near me in Virginia! The mountains look the same. Anyways, glad to have found your blog; you have great vintage style. - Leah

    ReplyDelete