Thursday, May 29, 2014

Lighten Up.

Summer lights

I like things that light up. You know, Christmas lights and glitter, neon signs, fireworks. Maybe it's because I'm a fire sign and drawn to things that blaze. When I was younger I remember 4th of July celebrations ringed in all kinds of backyard pyrotechnics, sparklers that stuck in the ground and were waist-high, and it's kind of been a while since I had my own personal little back yard light show. 

Summer lights

Summer lights

Summer lights

I came across a giant box of pretty small sparklers over the winter, or maybe it was the tail end of that season, and quietly started tucking away a nice little collection of the things (along with some colored smoke bombs) to save for when the weather was nicer. Of course, now I think how nice it would be to light up the snow, but something is really summer about setting things on fire (on purpose, and things you're supposed to). Memorial day was lovely, hot and a burning, taking absolutely forever to get dark, and I had a really strong feeling of okay, it's summer now, it's shorts and lemonade and grass.

Summer lights

Summer lights

Summer lights

Rebecca has always been really fantastic at photographing these things, and when her post broke I thought well, better get a move on! I'm pretty lazy when it comes to my camera--which I suppose is pretty awful, but, I'm not a big fan of fiddling around with things--and there's always the weirdness of hanging out in your backyard by yourself with a bunch of sparklers. Like, what am I supposed to do with these things once it's lit? Wave it around? I'm pretty happy just to stare at it and be excited by it so, girl laughing alone with camera and sparklers. 

Summer lights

Summer lights

Summer lights

It's my own weird little start of summer celebration, an offering to the good vibes of golden summers (the last few have been really good, practically molten in memory they're so bright), a chance to break out a dress left sleeping in the closet for a few weeks. Next up, marshmallows!

Dress from Dethrose Vintage, even though you can't see most of it. 

7 comments:

  1. I love these photographs so much, especially that last one :)

    Dethrose vintage! Chicago seller, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are excellent photos and now I want to spell my name out with a sparkler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss sparklers!
    Your description of a "celebration" or "offering" reminds me of the Midsummer Eve rites in I Capture the Castle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sparklers! These photos are gorgeous!
    Bella xx
    http://sincerelyisabella.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love sparklers!! Lovely photos!! :)

    www.ensembledeux.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those little sparky thins! i used to be afraid of them but now i think they are just simply amazing and just seeing those photos makes me want to buy a pack, go out into the night and start running waving them around till my neighbors think i am crazy haha.
    Rebecca did such a good job, she is such talented photographer!
    Nitabiti

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you blog a lot :D My sister started checking it out every day a few years ago and I kinda took over from there :) Now I follow you on tumblr and instagram as well, and I just love your style! I'm looking forward to whatever you may write in the future! X

    ReplyDelete