Friday, May 16, 2014

Getting Shorter.

I have a really hard time containing my love of puns and irritating alliteration when it comes to the titles of things. I think I went with the least obnoxious, cloying, thing that popped into my head but I still feel like that's pretty groan-inducing. 

Floral shorts lace top

Floral shorts lace top
Shorts: J. Crew, Blouse: Laura's Vintage, Tote: fieldguided, Shoes: Marshall's last summer, Sunglasses: Somewhere, 2 years ago. 

Floral shorts lace top

Shorts are hard for me though, and I suspect for a lot of others, so I have to lock in my little word crutches and campy verbal security blankets for this topic. It's tricky (there we go, another one I rely on) because I love them. For someone who drags her feet about pants I sure have acquired quite the collection of wildly-printed shorts. 

I regularly complain about my legs enough on various social media outlets that I get nice, reassuring messages about them. Which is lovely, and I appreciate it immensely, although it does point to this really stupid problem where women scrutinize their own bodies in really ridiculous, unfair ways. I have nothing to complain or feel self-conscious about, and I tell myself this often! On the one hand, I like to think, who cares, I will wear shorts and fuzz to anyone who has one little peep to say about it. On the other I can't help but sometimes feel self-conscious about it. 

Then there is the added worry of oh dear, are my shorts too short. Are they decent? Am I going to get unwanted attention from these, when really I just thought they were cute? There's a lot going on with pretty much any pair of shorts, so much baggage for a pretty small garment as far as getting dressed goes. 

Floral shorts lace top

Floral shorts lace top

Floral shorts lace top

All of this aside, I've spent the past two summers enjoying shorts with--gasp--3" inseams. For years I wouldn't dare, I'm not entirely sure why, something in the back of my mind totally wrote them off as being too short for me, they wouldn't look alright so I'm not even going to try it. And then one day I loved a pattern so much that I did, and I loved them, and was happy and comfortable and have barely thought about the whole ordeal again.

These shorts are, I think, already a favorite. They've got a nice little waist (finally, because goodness knows I've got piles of little vintage blouses just crying out to see daylight but hardly any high-waists that aren't skirts to help them on their way in the world), floral pattern, and a good tap-short shape. Of course, they look wildly different on the model than on me, but for once I'm not bothered in the least by this fact. 

Floral shorts lace top

Floral shorts lace top

Floral shorts lace top

I think I had planned for this post to be a little more positive, yay shorts! And it's not that I don't feel that way! I do! I've really been waiting through a long winter to get to this point, daydreaming about shorts and sun on legs even in the fluffiest and most sparkling days of snow! It's just, you know. I feel the need to acknowledge the little pipsqueak of a voice that second-guess these kinds of things, and all the dumb feelings that come along with a measly, adorable, pair of shorts. 

Other randoms on this one include:

It's finally hitting mid-70s and sometimes, 80 degrees out there so I am justified in pulling out my fieldguided endless bummer tote. Not that I've been waiting to use it again since September or anything. 

I've finally sorted out the crown-braid mystery just in time. I've never been more sick of ponytails in my life. Maybe, having been all productive in blog-land lately, I'll pull myself together and post a How I Do This on that. 

Thanks again Eden, for snapping these for me!

14 comments:

  1. Love the lace & print combination! And thank you for posting. I adore your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I found my twin. I, too, also have a love of puns and a ridiculous collection of shorts yet a startling lack of pants. (Okay, hardly twin material, but I saw that hairstyle and your legs look similar to mine and and and I'm just pulling strings out of thin air here, I know!)

    Speaking of the hairstyle though, it looks fairly complicated, I'd love to see a tutorial! Right now I've just been plaiting two braids on the side of my head and pinning them up in a vaguely crown-shaped manner, but yours look a lot neater.. Curse my laziness!

    Demi
    http://carbonchic.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, I wish I could look that good in shorts. But you're right, we all totally scrutinize our bodies. However, this spring/summer I'm just going to go for it! You look lovely + adore how you brought this beauty of an outfit together!! Gorg inspiration! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's okay to feel self-conscious about certain parts of your body so long as it's not obsessive, you know? Nobody is perfect, and it's only human to have some part of your body that you're not as comfortable showing. I feel like sometimes the comments telling you that you shouldn't worry about your body can almost be chastising and then you feel bad admitting that you DO have areas you're not happy with. If that makes sense!

    That said, you do have a great figure and I love that you posted these shorts even if you're insecure about your legs! I really want to get some shorts like that-- I'm not fond of jeans or jean shorts, and I NEED some patterned ones. I think I'd feel more confident wearing patterned shorts than jean shorts.
    xo
    Kristina
    www.eccentricowl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes exactly, thank you! I think it's hard sometimes to walk the line between being honest at feeling something about one's body, but not wanting to obsess or be annoying, or take the good things about it for granted. Sometimes it seems like there is so much movement these days towards LOVE YOUR BODY, and it's hard to just say well, today body and I are having a hard time, and that's okay!

      The patterned ones help for some reason, I don't know why!

      Delete
  5. i've realized that highwaisted shorts don't look too revealing because they have the extra fabric up top. if you were wearing low-waisted daisy-dukes it'd be a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shorts have such a cute print! I think they look fabulous on you (quite frankly about a zillion times better on you than the model who looks positively LOST in them) but the whole outfit looks gorgeous on ya. I am still frenemies with shorts myself. For a while I had slimmed down quite a bit and was wearing pieces with higher inseams and shorter lengths but then I chunked out again and I wouldn't be caught dead in anything that goes much above my knee. Logically I know it's preposterous and I should just wear what I enjoy but eh... we'll see I guess. Until then I shall live vicariously through your shorts-wearing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happened to me also! I went on a shorts-buying binge about two years ago, when I lost a bunch of weight because I was sad and anxious, but thankfully since getting back to my usual weight/size (and being happy!) I've still explored shorts. It's hard though, and some days you just don't want to battle the shorts thing, I understand! But I did find that just wearing them made it easier to wear them? If that makes sense?

      Delete
  7. Adorable outfit - and the shorts look lovely on you!

    I know what you mean about having a change of heart when it comes to short shorts. I used to hate them with a passion, for no real reason. Then one day I found a little pair of navy blue corduroys that didn't feel tight around my thighs and suddenly I was sold!

    I do get terribly self conscious about every little scratch or mark on my legs, and have to force myself to remember that everyone has them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is such a sweet outfit, I love the shorts, they look fab on you! I definitely go through phases with shorts but I think you've inspired me to get some of mine out although I have to wait for it to warm up a little here first!

    Lally

    lallymacbeth.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. those are fantastic! I'm a total fan of shorts, but I tend to get stuck in the white denim world, and not explore other color options. These are making me feel all kinds of possibilities! also, love crown braids.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the choice to pull your hair back. It made the look so clean. You remind me of a beauty bather of the '50s. You rock the short-shorts because you own the short-shorts. Thanks for the leggy inspiration ;) We should all be more kind to our glamorous gams.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kate! Just thought I'd let you know that I've shared your beautiful outfit over on our blog today. I just think this combo of items is so lovely. I'm in love with those shorts and you look fabulous in them! Here's the link: http://thecommoncreative.blogspot.ca/2014/06/curated-by-vol-8.html

    ReplyDelete