Monday, July 8, 2013

Knotting Along.

Summer uniform 2013 edition

I love this outfit but I also feel real weird about it. I love high-waisted things, because I have a small waist and am sort of self-conscious about my butt/hip/thigh area (yeah I know, me and like 900% of everyone ever), and since crop-tops started popping up again the combination was something I really wanted to try. 

But it feels weird at first, wearing it. Maybe because I'm generally the kind of person who stays pretty covered up, who has to worry about getting too many freckles or sunburn, but all of the sudden I was like whoa I feel exposed. It's a stupid thought because hello, it's only like what, two inches maybe of midriff that are showing? 

Summer uniform 2013 edition
Skirt: Vintage, Shirt: J. Crew, Shoes: T.J. Max, brand unknown, Bag: Vintage/thrifted,  Sunglasses: Faces in Northampton, MA, Necklace: Vintage, Nail Polish: FACE for J. Crew in 'Neon Sunset'.

Summer uniform 2013 edition

Anyway, I got over it (mostly). I've actually had a hard time finding crop tops I like, so I've taken to just knotting t-shirts instead. The downside is then the t-shirts get all weird and wrinkled at the bottom, but I can deal. 

The skirt is one I bought last year in anticipation of my birthday, but then it rained so hard that day that it seemed unwise to wear it in case I ended up soaking wet during a dash to the car. I also have a hard time with circle skirts. I love them so often on other people, and I've amassed a nice little pile of them that I never wear. I just feel really hippy (as in, whoa girl's got hips) in a way I'm not totally used to in them. Getting over that too, and finding that my tied t-shirt solution is helping. 

This has quickly become a go-to outfit for me, either with skirts or shorts, especially in the more recent weeks of intense humidity and sun. My instinct is to just throw something on, but in an effort to wear an actual outfit this year's summer uniform is making things a little easier. 

Summer uniform 2013 edition

Summer uniform 2013 edition

I'm also noticing I have a lot of outfit-post crutches when it comes to posing for the camera with the self-timer. Especially if I have a prop, like sunglasses, I can't leave those things alone.

Summer uniform 2013 edition
Sneak peak at what I do between photos--trying to fluff my hair up a bit.

Summer uniform 2013 edition

27 comments:

  1. Love this, Kater! That skirt is so swoon-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous.

    That skirt is just magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seriously look awesome. I love everything about this.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm, that last picture especially: hotttt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this outfit! I'm totally copying it. You got nothin to worry about hon, you look great in this!

    Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well the waist thing is definitely working out for you! I want to try it out now!!

    - applewood road

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look amazing! I'm a pretty modest dresser, too, but recently I realized: if there's ever going to be a time to wear revealing clothing and look great in it, it's in my 20's! So, I've definitely got my eye on some cute crop tops now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally adore the skirt! It looks amazing!

    x Angela / bouncingbrunette.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your skirt & shoes together even their patterns are so different <33

    If you like lace, please check out my first giveaway on my blog:
    http://photostorms.blogspot.com/2013/07/my-first-giveaway.html

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look great! I want to steal this look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect as usual - this is so cute and summery! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The skirt is simply devine and what a beautiful location.

    xoxo
    Ivy
    http://www.purrpleivy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very good looking and I feel you will keep it up.
    Sliding Gates

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this silhouette looks great on you! And that pop of nail varnish is the perfect finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your outfit I also make knot on my t-shirts and my blouses, it's so nice and makes a retro touch to any look !
    Hello from Paris
    Charlotte from Trip in my dressing

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look lovely. It's a gorgeous skirt and you really suit the style

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look pretty! Like your hair in combination with your skincolour. Nice skirt to!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ADORB. This is such a cute summer look on you.

    I've always been terrified of crop tops. But high-waisted things will be my best friend for lyfe, especially now that I have more hips going on than I used to.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think this way to follow the trend is very practical and simple, because you do not have to buy anything that seguremente, do not ever use next season. Also, I feel great the combination of knotted shirt with that full skirt, very countryside .... and photos, as always, so, so beautiful .... A big hug from Madrid, Spain. I love to see you on my blog, because I mentioned elsewhere that yours excites me with its delicate style and your own beauty (which is a lot) so romantic. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  20. super cute! love the whole ensemble- the shape<3, and the location is beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. this look is gorgeous! post again soon?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am also a big fan of anything high-waisted! It just makes me feel 10x more comfortable. I'm loving your full skirt as well :)

    Rachel Emma
    Daydream Frenzy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous! That skirt is amazing!! x

    Janelle
    http://amintdaydream.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  24. This outfit is so flattering! It's just the right amount of exposure...and fudging heck you're right about having a tiny waist, lucky sod!!
    xxxxxxx

    segenswunsche.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete