Monday, June 24, 2013

Wearing the Book: Stardust.

Wearing the Book: Stardust

Last Thursday something happened that I was really, really excited about. Neil Gaiman, a favorite author since middle-school-dom, was going to be visiting one of my favorite local cities for a reading and book signing. The second I heard this I frantically snatched up a ticket, as did my best gal pal and her husband, and we spent the next few weeks being really excited about the whole thing, trying to decide what to wear (costumes?), and wondering over what books we should bring to be signed. 

Originally we thought we would go in costumes (as the personification of War, horse-person of the apocalypse, and Anathema Device, both from Good Omens), but time and procrastination, and really hot summer days along with neither of us possessing a sword appropriate to bring to a public event, made us rethink it. 

And then I realized, I owned the perfect dress to mimic one of my favorite book covers. 

Wearing the Book: Stardust
Dress, belt, and headband are all from J. Crew from various seasons. Necklace is Lulu Frost for J. Crew, shose are from Madewell last summer.  I try not to make all the pieces come from one place but oops, it happens anyway.

It's not the kind of thing I normally wear. I bought it because the color makes me thirsty, because it has pockets, and because it's the kind of simple silky throw on and go to battle kind of dress that I always want, but never quite seem to be able to pull off. In the interest of stepping outside of comfort zones I snatched it up.

So far in this series (which I have both woefully ignored for a while and seem to have mostly dressed in books that are blue) I've just tried to mimic the aesthetics of the cover without alluding much to the contents, but given that this was for a special event, it made sense to wear a dress that not only matched the colors of the cover, but that also had some kind of Stardust-y fairy-tale-esque quality to it. So, you know. Perfect dress, I guess.

Wearing the Book: Stardust

Wearing the Book: Stardust

Wearing the Book: Stardust

The event did not disappoint. I'm still working my way through The Ocean at the End of the Lane, but it's quite lovely and quietly heart-breaking. We giggled in our seats and listened to a favorite author read to us, in a room chock-full (1,500 people!) of people all of a similar mind and fandom (there's nothing better, or I love nothing better, than a room full of dorks whether it be about fashion or books or movies).  

I even got really lucky, when they chose my question to close out that portion of the event, which earned me a laugh from most of the audience as well as a handshake in line when it came to be my book's turn to be signed (for the record, I got my battered, taped together, underlined and yellowing copy of Good Omens signed, as well as the special edition of Stardust pictured here).

My question was: "How many secrets can you keep in your hair, and is that where you get your metaphors?"  The answer, I believe, was "All of them". For the rest of the night I was The Girl Who Asked the Hair Question!

I was so happy and excited for the rest of the evening and day, and I'm still pretty thrilled by the whole thing!

Wearing the Book: Stardust
Wearing the Book: Stardust

Previous Wearing the Book posts (I suppose I am overly fond of blue books and dresses!):
St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves

Thank you to Amy for stopping and snapping these shots for me!

21 comments:

  1. So jealous that you got to see Neil Gaiman! He seems so cool! Love your dress and how perfectly it matches to the cover!
    ~Sara
    Sincerely, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty and feminine! It really does match the cover <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite the fact that you wore that dress very well, TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED YOU DIDN'T DECIDE TO GO AS WAR AND ANATHEMA DEVICE!! Q A Q;; would have totally loved to see how you put together the costume SOB! Plus, I'm sure Neil would've been absolutely flabbergasted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look totally stunning and I love that it's based off that gorgeous book cover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of matching a book cover, as opposed to dressing up. I really adore the dress - that colour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a fun and lovely tribute to the book and Neil Gaiman! It's always so much fun to hear and see a favorite author in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so beautiful, and you wear this dress like a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! What a perfect question. I adore both Stardust and Good Omens and completely agree, you picked the perfect outfit, and bonus, you look lovely! I love this concept and will definitely be combing back through your archives to check out the others! Happy to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This outfit is just so pretty! I haven't read anything by Gaiman, but I feel like I should probably add him to my "to read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Neil Gaiman! Awesome post and your question sounds great, I love quirky questions!

    www.tapeparade.wordpress.com

    XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy that you had a great time! This look is just gorgeous. x


    Melissa
    http://wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Soy una seguidora española de tu blog. Te escribo en mi idioma porque me resulta más sencillo, inevitablemente, expresarme que en inglés. Tu blog es tan bello como maravilloso y personal tu estilo. Realmente estoy enamorada de las fotos tan bonitas que publicas. Un saludo lleno de admiración.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous dress- a bit Greek Goddess like. I love Stardust!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so cuuuuute!!! I love your dress! So happy you got to meet your faveo!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful dress, I like that shade of blue!

    ReplyDelete
  16. you're like a mixture of Saoirse Ronan and Isabelle Fuhrman, but you of course, cute! :3

    ReplyDelete
  17. That blue dress is breathtaking!! You look like a goddess =)

    Teffy { Teffys Perks Blog }

    Xx

    ReplyDelete