Monday, March 11, 2013

Scalloping into Spring.

scallops and polka dots and lace

I think I'm coming out of a little bit of an outfit funk, but that might just be because I finally treated myself to a few new items. I am trying to be better about things like that and to rediscover items in my wardrobe that I haven't worn in ages, a 'shop my closet' kind of thing, but sometimes I can't help but feel rejuvenated by something new (or new-to-me). I feel really myself in this outfit, which is a nice change after the last few weeks of wearing the same chambray dress over and over (and over and over) again. 

a step
Dress: J. Crew, Blouse: Vintage, Pin: Vintage (thrifted), Shoes: BC Footwear, Bag: J. Crew Fall 2012

what a nice picture oh good you're making a stupid face

little flower pin

 I've been struggling (that makes it sound really dramatic, but I'm not certain what other word to use, and really, there isn't much I don't love more than a little bit of hyperbole on the internet, in a harmless sort of way) for a few months with outfits. Probably because I'm thinking too much about them, which isn't good for several reasons, but mostly I find that I've been preoccupied by the balance of mixing. 

Even if it looks alright, or good, or great even, I always feel a little bit wrong when an outfit is made up of too many of one kind of thing. I don't really want my entire outfit to be vintage, although I'm not opposed and sometimes it happens, and I don't want the entire thing to be all new either. I know all sorts of blogs and magazines and stupid makeover shows are always touting the virtues of mixing in vintage with new, and of course it's true, but mostly I just feel unbalanced if I'm in all one thing or the other. But it's funny, because a lot of the time it depends on the actual size of the pieces--I like them to be equal parts. I'm sure that sounds a little but nutso, but there it is. This outfit is perfect, because somehow a jumper-type dress and a blouse balance each other out, since they sort of take up almost the same amount of space on an outfit/body.

I should probably stop now before I did myself into a weird ditch of ruminations on outfits. Basically, this one feels right, it feels very me, and I feel at home in it. I don't feel overly girly or frilly, but I think it's also just the right amount of precious.

i give up on names.

obligatory looking down picture.

oh look, imaginary friends.

The bag I've been meaning to use for ages. I waited and waited for it to go on sale, and when it finally did I pounced, and the poor thing sat in my closet for months without being used. It has a strap, and maybe if it were longer I would use it more often, but I like it best as a clutch (even if I worry that I'll leave it somewhere). Plus it helps me get polka-dots into my outfit. 

lace lace lace lace

windy hair

I'm pretty content with this one, which of course means I'll come up with 4 or 5 different versions of it, and wear it until I hate it and can't stand to put the thing on again (or until I spill on it, until it starts to pill or has holes).

Pictures taken by my friend Eden.

30 comments:

  1. That dress is a dream! You look fantastic. I totally get what you mean as regards thinking too much about an outfit. I always end up doing it despite the fact that it's not a healthy chain of thought and a substandard ensemble is always the result! You've definitely nailed it though.
    Betti xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do love that dress!

    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are such a mod dolly in this! love the colours, so perfect for spring

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ack, you are so cute! I love this dress, and totally thought it was all one piece at first. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, kater! this outfit makes me wanna faint. you look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking just wonderful in it too! I think you're becoming even more beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I've always loved scallops! They're so dainty and fun!
    ~Sara
    sarastrauss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. love a bit of scalloping! gorgeous colours :)

    www.bowiebowie.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this outfit so much! The color of the dress looks so amazing on you. I also adore the scalloping and the lace underneath!
    I know what you mean about being in a "funk" - I'm currently in one. I'm on a shopping freeze (student living!) and am trying to make do with what I have, but find that my wardrobe is super lacking. Darned! Glad you're out of yours, you really do look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great combo :)

    And I know what you mean. Sometimes you have to vacation from yourself and step back (if that makes sense at all), then things seem a little fresher.

    xoxo
    Solanah

    ReplyDelete
  11. An unexpected yet delightful combo of lace and pink.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it, I love it! I find spring to be always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like this dress combo so much. Don't struggle, darling! You would probably look fabulous in something less thought out too!

    The Occasional Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your expression is always so positive and cute!
    And your outfit is more than great <3333

    http://photostorms.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you for treating yourself to something nice. It's such a lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous outfit!

    Becky
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. that dress is absolutely darling!
    love your style, it really is precious :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh your dress!<3
    anna
    www.letourbillondelavie.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the scalloped hem, so cute and makes the dress quite unusual. I like the way you have layered that lovely lace blouse underneath too

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hear you on the mixing-vintage-with-new thing. I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean anymore... it's good to keep in mind so you avoid looking like a time capsule (although, some people are into that and big ups to them), but it can also be a hedging of risk, which is no fun (like seeing women who just cannot wear a feminine blouse or dress without throwing a huge army jacket over it... it was chic the first 1000 times, now it just looks "safe").

    For me, it's a matter of principle. I get emails from people saying how refreshing it is that I don't just wear the same old ASOS / ModCloth / Urban Outfitters looks... but I actually freaking shop ASOS all the time, and it makes me nervous about wearing too much of it at once. I've found that being more self-assured in my style makes it less and less important where the shit comes from, because it starts to all feel like ME.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Many of the Online Jobs and Online Earning System in internet online Business, but here is a best and legit online earning systems with life time opportunity.
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. You look adorable, I love scallop detailing. Stunning blog :) x

    underbluelights.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  23. Goodness, I totally know you mean in all of your ramblings. I'm glad you found this outfit to inspire you..you look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a fun outfit! I love the dress paired with the opaque black tights :) I found your blog from Clever Nettle and have been loving going through all your posts!

    xoxo | Lauren from Adored Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  25. Everything about your outfit is perfect: the scallops, the colors, the lace, and the shoes ah! I had a pair similar to those but I wore them so often I had to throw them away :(

    ReplyDelete