Thursday, February 7, 2013

Spending Pennies.

Today I am holed up on the sofa nursing a head-cold, alternating watching Lord of the Rings and Pushing Daisies (which I somehow don't own, instead I've gotten ahold of it from the library and of course, they're late going back as usual), waiting for the snowy doom that is heading our way. It all miraculously (though not in a good way) coincided with days I was hoping to head down to NYC for some fashion week shenanigans. I'm keeping and eye on the weather, and my germs, hoping that tomorrow or Saturday will clear up in both ways so I can make the journey, but in the meantime I'm eyeing the space between my bank account and a few tabs I've left open of Things I've Been Meaning to Buy Eventually.

I'm trying, with mixed success, to be more conscious of what I'm spending my money on in terms of adornments. I'm still letting myself off the leash with vintage because, well, if I find the perfect aqua and blue polka-dotted dress I can't let it out of my sight like I did last time. But I'm learning to be more mindful of what I will wear, what I am most comfortable in, and what will be a wise choice in handing over my funds. If I want something six months later it's probably a good bet that it won't be a silly purchase, so the following treasures are a few things I've been budgeting for over the last few months.

eyelashesandnecklaces

1.)Sweet Nothing Necklace from in god we trust. I've been wanting one of these for, I don't know, a year or two now! I don't know why I haven't gone for it before now, since the price is reasonable. I think it's my love of instant gratification. Getting things in the mail is fun but I want to hold the thing nooow!
2.) MAC 4 lashes. Since autumn, I've fallen victim to fake lashes. I've only worn the full strips once or twice for special occasions, but I've been wearing one or two of the individual ones a few times a week. Maybe it's watching too much New Girl and Pushing Daisies, but I suddenly want to go bigger and try a full strip for a regular day! I think these will be just big enough for some extra eye-batting but not so large that it'll look insane during the daylight hours.

perhapsdressus

1.) Double Spot Flippy Dress from Topshop. Black and white with polka-dots, means of course I want it. But it's just the right shape, short but not too mini, nipped in at the waist, with short sleeves. It's essentially my perfect dress. 
2.) 5th Ray Dress from Family Affairs. I know, you're sick of hearing about this one, but next payday it's going to be mine! All the pretties from the fall collection are on sale now, including this pretty gem of a dress, so I'm making plans for a few pieces!

warriorladies

1.) Okay so, this isn't a link to an actual thing I can buy. Ever since I saw this picture of Annie Clark of St. Vincent fame on tumblr I've been yearning for the perfect pair of leather shorts. So far everything I've found is either covered in something weird (zippers, studs, inexplicably bedazzled or fringed) or is way too short. But I'll keep up the search, because I have a sneaking suspicion that leather shorts with a white blouse, some eyeliner, and red lips is going to be my end-of-winter uniform if I can just make it all come together.
2.) Lady King print by gingerhaze. I have a few of this lady's prints hanging about my space, but I've been wanting to add this one to the collection. My latest pinterest boards and spotify playlists are all hungry hearted queens of thorns and blood so I've got all things lady monarchs on the brain.

20 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your sentiments, particularly in the area of adornments. For Christmas I asked for a pair of silver hoops from a local boutique called the Cat and the Moon (for the Yeats poem) and in the past 3 months i've cleared out a lot of costume jewelry that i've acquired from topshop sales over the years and bought at the time thinking "oh well its only €x", not really considering how these things all add up. Now that i'm in between jobs and conscious of having to move out of my parents house at a moments notice i want things that i know i'll have for years, and less junk that i'll be careless with on nights out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that pic of annie is quite compelling...best of luck in your hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wanna buy this Mac lashes! This post gives many inspiration to me!!And Annie Clark is so cool:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the biggest girl crush on annie clark. oh em gee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. leather shorts try forever 21 they've got tons of them or at leaste they did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say you find some leather pants in a thrift store and cut them to the length you want :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you about pining for stuff! I have a secret pinterest board where just pin stuff I want to buy. Bur right now I'm trying to save up for the Vintage Fashion Expo... last time I went with like forty dollars to spend and it was depressing.

    That spot dress is pretty great—I love how the spots overlap in places!

    Get well soon, lady <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the green Family Affairs dress! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know exactly what you mean about vintage, some people just don't understand that it can't be budgeted in because you'll never know when you find something you can't walk away from

    ReplyDelete
  10. Investment Plans to make money online, Online Jobs can make money online from home, Just Visit
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the Topshop dress! I'm trying to save money but i saw it the other day and really wanted it! i need more willpower!
    http://accioabigail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI hello~ please visit our handmade stuff shop in etsy~ we sell handmade natural soaps, phone charms and many more~ thank you and have a nice day!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/SoapliciousSoap

    http://twinscraftlifelee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello honey, I'm a new blogger... I've been waltzing through a few blogs as you do and I got to here. I love your style honey and I shall be hitting subscribe... although, I can't find the follow button :S
    Anyway, I especially love the locket 'bless this mess'... so cute! Plus, the photos in the previous post are brilliant, did you take them on timer or did someone take them for you? Either way I love them, good job!
    Lulu
    xox
    visit me?(:
    http://the-fashion-oracle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Forex Market Analysis, Indian Forex Market Updates, Pakistan forex News, New York Stock Updates, World Wide Stock Updates and Much More Forex updates
    LatestFxMarket.Com

    ReplyDelete
  15. World Wide Online jobs from home, part time online jobs, data entry jobs and copy pasting jobs
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Best online earning system in the world, Online Data entry jobs, Form Filling Jobs, Copy Pasting Jobs
    Join the best online system from home, Best Investment Plans without any work
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jobs at your Home, Internet Online Jobs like data entry, copy pasting, Form Filling, Facebook Sharing Jobs, Clicking Jobs, Web Surfing, Google Jobs and Much More Earning Systems Online
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Forex Market is very high for internet Business Users, Latest Forex updates, forex tips, Currency exchange rates, Daily updates news about Forex
    LatestFxMarket.Com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can relate to this. I took a job with an incredibly low salary to be able to transplant from the US to Paris. Before I moved I sold most of my belongings & now that I am here, I really have to evaluate each & every purchase I make. The first thing I ask myself when I see something I like is if I can live without it... turns out there are much fewer things I "need" in life!!

    ReplyDelete