Friday, November 9, 2012

White Dresses, Black Tights.

I suppose I've got a weird, gothy, ghosty vibe going on for this post and the last. Although today at work I kept catching myself in the mirror and feeling like some weird Burton-y character in an orphan's uniform.

Or maybe I'm just trying to dress like my cat. It works for her. 

IMG_5431

I love color, I do. I love staring at certain sweaters, sometimes sticking colors next to each other that don't particularly go but something about the brightness next to each other is pleasing. That said, there's something comforting to me about black and white (or black and cream). Black tights are especially nice, no matter what I feel good in them, as though attached to some kind of anchor.

IMG_5393
Dress: Madewell, Shirt: J. Crew, Shoes: BC Footwear , Bag: Vintage, Necklace: Lawrence (chain added), Lipstick: NARS Terre de Feu

IMG_5391

I bought this dress in late summer, and rationalized the purchase by saying I would wear it all the time come colder weather with black tights and chunky sweaters. I then wore it once and promptly forgot about it. I think that's a sign I need to do the winter-summer wardrobe switch-out, and maybe pull some of the old forgottens forward again. 

IMG_5409

All of the sudden it's winter. I should probably start calling this a personal style slash weather blog, for all I talk about the latter. I used to try very hard not to, because complaining or talking about the weather is one of the most boring things ever. It's my least favorite small-talk topic, but there I am every post thinking about it. It's only that it so dictates what I end up wearing, to a certain degree. And it's a strange thing, especially given recent years on the East coast where suddenly everything is going a little bit nuts.

34 comments:

  1. I think this is one of my all time favorites, you look AWESOME. Never thought long sleeves would work with summer dresses; not that I can pull this off but I want to print this and cry because such a great idea.

    Team weather blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really like the white dress with black tights look, too. have tried it a few times myself this season. it's a really good way to use a summer-ish dress for longer. don't worry about the weather small-talk. i used to be obsessed when i lived just up the street from a weather/clock. like i had to know the exact degree that it was...funny. great lippy, too.
    xo
    n

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I thought Tim Burton exactly! So that means I loves this :)

    http://theoccasionalindulgence.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this look!! It is so little Victorian Girl. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guh, I really really love that dress, and it was genius to pair it with that sweater xo

    I've been feeling very displaced and odd since it has becoming steadily colder and colder, and I have no idea what to wear out anymore ;_;

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that dress, I've always wanted a delicate white dress like that.
    xo, Tori
    http://generationscollective.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stripes are so unexpected yet seem to fit perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the stripes with that dress! I often rationalize weather inappropriate purchases by telling myself that I'll wear them in a way that won't make me miserable. I almost bought a 70s embroidered shift dress the other day because it had colorful parrots on it, and I told myself I would wear it when I went to Harry Potter World in Florida this past week. Then I realized that I have a buying problem, and I stopped myself! Kinda wish I wouldn't have, though. Anyway, I love your mix of summer and winter attire!

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice outfit!! I think now I'll try to put striped t-shirt under a dress!! ;)
    anna
    www.letourbillondelavie.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this dress & the combo. And I always tend to talk about the weather endlessly on my blog, it's really hard not to!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is perfect. i am totally into the creepy vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blog. I just started my first blog, I hope you'll check it out! It's Her Blue Smile on blogger.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have dreamy Downton Abbey hair in this post, and I am totally jealous. (I will mention, without being too spoilery, that a recent Downton episode seems to have soured me on the show a bit... I haven't watched in weeks! Apparently, I'm the worst Downton fangirl ever.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I FEEL THE SAME WAY RE: DOWNTON. I kept watching it after that, because I had Downton Sunday with some gal pals, but ugh. It has really tainted my feelings towards the show :(

      Delete
  14. I would never have put this together myself but it all totally works and is very inspiring! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. It must be the black and white stripes that are making you think of Tim Burton style! It looks really cute on you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a great combination!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful dress! The outfit complements you really well. :]

    ReplyDelete
  18. just a suggestion but ditch the striped shirt and go for a black cardigan or a white shirt underneath. Stripes are too distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your white dress with the stripy top!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really pretty dress! I love Madewell :) I love how you put your hair up too, really adds a lot to this look

    Kaylee Nicole
    Wild Flower
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the contrast in this look. Layering up summer dresses is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Madewell is so perfect! I lvoe this look, you pull it off perfectly.

    <3Chelsea Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love how you layered that striped, black shirt under the white dress. i have a dress similar, now you've inspired me to layer it!

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is great. A goth, Tim Burton-esque vibe is a good thing and you did it well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your outfits always seem to me as if they came out a Tim Burton-esque Victorian faerie tale. I really admire your sense of style :)
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love how edwardian white dresses feel with black tights. so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That dress is stunning!Thanks so much for sharing it with us.I have some dresses and accessories on my website. If you are interested, you can visit it (www.umybridal.com):-)

    ReplyDelete