Saturday, November 24, 2012

Insta-outfits.

I suppose I'm at a point where I ought to admit to myself that instagram is one of the things keeping me from taking outfit photos more often. It's hard to have time, and it's hard losing the light, doing it yourself, when you can just snap a quick picture in a mirror. I've gotta find that balance between instagramming and actually posting!

But there have been a few things, outfits or bits of them, that I've wanted to share or photograph for a proper post and have just never gotten around to it. Might as well, I thought, just lump them all together and make one big post. 

And besides, there's no way I can let Halloween costumes go by without a post about them!

halloween

For what was hands-down the best Halloween party I've ever experienced at Jess's place, I finally dressed up as my favorite other-people hating Daniel Day Lewis role. I've been wanting to do this costume for years, pretty  much since I saw the movie (which I watch on a strangely regular basis, even though there is nothing about it that should appeal to my usual sensibilities). Then there was that SNL skit, and the other costumes floating around the internet, and every year I wanted to do it.  Plus, you know. dressing like a boy is kind of a weird past-time of mine. I'm on my own, so I got an old baby doll in a basket to stand in for H.W. Plainview, with a milkshake prop and a box of pink striped paper straws. The rest of the outfit was all bits I had in my closet--I only had to buy the mustache and milkshake. 

Then, for actual Halloween I had big plans. Months ago Amy and company decided that we'd all be The Avengers, and I was really excited to be Hulk. It would be hilarious, because no one looks at me and thinks Hulk! I did some research, ordered paint, and promptly discovered that it did not wash off efficiently. That wouldn't do, and my last minute paint came off on everything, so I gave up and pulled out a 1940s suit gifted to me by my hair stylist, pin-curled myself, slapped on some red lipstick and carried around a vintage Captain America comic book to go as a slightly inaccurate Peggy Carter. 

outfits2
Left outfit: Blouse and Sweater- J. Crew fall 2012, Skirt- Gap circa 2005, Shoes: BC Footwear, Bag-Vintage
Right outfit: Dress- Madewell 2011, Jacket: J. Crew 2010, Bag- Vintage, Scarf- Laura's Vintage, Shoes: Madewell, Knee Socks- H&M 2008

Then I started chronicling outfits at work (one of my jobs allows me to dress up a bit more, as opposed to the bakery where I try to wear nice things that I also don't mind getting flour or egg or cocoa powder on). These two I wore a lot over the fall, repeating them with slightly embarrassing frequency. Who knew a hen sweater would be something I would want to wear twice a week?

outfits3
Left outfit: Skirt- Thrifted, Sweater & tights- J. Crew Fall 2012, Belt: J. Crew Winter 2011, Shoes- No idea.
Right outfit: Pants & Shoes - J. Crew (current season), Shirt- J. Crew Fall 2011, Sweater- Macy's Christmas 2010

The outfit on the left here is my favorite of all season. I feel very accurate to myself in it, and so I think I've worn it once a week since acquiring the sweater! The right happened because I wanted to wear those blue shoes, and somehow wearing an all-blue outfit seemed the best answer.

outfits1
Left outfit: Skirt/shirt- J. Crew (current season), Sweater- J. Crew winter 2009, Shoes: Bass Outlet winter 2011, and a men's tie.

These are both from the last week or so. The right outfit you've seen already in this post, with the addition of a coat and cup of tea. The left I wore not realizing I was going to be up a ladder most of the day, and it was not the best decision to wear that skirt.

randoms

Some randoms! On the left you see me in a Forever21 fitting room, wearing what I am thinking will be my New Year's Eve dress. The alarmed expression is in reaction to a child hysterically shrieking in the next room over. 

And then you've got something a bit less formal, but a glimpse of what I roll around the house in. Hoodie (complete with polka-dots), blanket-scarf, and a glitter headband.

toflorence

And finally, back in September I went to see Florence and the Machine! I had elaborate plans for what to wear, which were thrown out the window when I tore the dress I had in mind. In the end I went with my Madewell white dress, a little fur jacket, and a lot of glitter.

29 comments:

  1. Lovely photos and great outfits!
    I have to say, you look like Lady Mary from Downton in your possible-New-Years-Eve outfit, tres chic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your outfits are uh-muh-zing :) I especially love the second work one with the neckscarf. You've got truly green eyed monster inducing style!
    Betti x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute photos!
    These are some really great outfits, I'm glad you shared!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Daniel Day Lewis costume is pure genius! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are the prettiest and the silliest girl ever! i love all your outfits and i'm jealous of you working at j.crew and having access to all the pretty clothes all of the time.
    also, instagram also stops me from doing anything ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are fun! your halloween costume is RAD, and I love your face in the changing room one. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Florence-going outfit and hair and headband are mighty fine. Damn fine, even!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think instagram is perfect for outfit shots. (Unfortunately, my ipod's camera just isn't up to snuff when compared to an iphone.) And your Florence outfit is pretty much how I want to dress all the time always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love every single one!! I'm completely in love with your style!
    anna
    www.letourbillondelavie.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Right, so perhaps we can be wardrobe buddies..? Love love love your mix 'n' match! Oh and that 'stache..? PERFECT. And of course, I have to follow you! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your instagram photos! I think it's better to document than to not document! Your 'There Will Be Blood' Halloween costume made me super happy and also super sad that I had never thought of that before! I love that movie!

    p.s. As a side note, I've tried to document my outfits on instagram, but I'm horrible at figuring out where to hold the phone. You are really good at it!

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never know where to hold it either! Liz of Olive, My Love has that DOWN to a SCIENCE!

      Delete
  12. That peter pan collar J.Crew sweater sold out on-line ... bummed me to pieces!

    Also thanks for the rec on the minnie pants. I wear those pants at LEAST once a week! Not sure what I am going to do now that it is full-on sock season.. boo :(:(

    ReplyDelete
  13. That picture of you in the denim jacket (in the bathroom) reminds me of the shots you used to take in the stairwell at school! Nostalgia!

    Also, this was a fantastic post. Hodgepodge is the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH GOD I'm a little bit mortified that anyone remembers those! UGH and taking them was so awkward! Why didn't I just find a secluded spot? I don't even know.

      Thank you for reading this long and sticking around, haha!

      Delete
  14. So many great outfits! I love your style. I'm glad to have stumbled upon your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. GLITTER STAR HEADBAND! Where??! Where can I get this piece of beauty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually made that one and it got glitter everywhere and fell apart (but I mean, it was only for a few hours of wear so I didn't care much). I really want one of the Giant Dwarf ones someday: http://www.etsy.com/listing/62761099/giant-dwarf-starlette-crown-silver !

      Delete
  16. Totally lovely as always. I'm bad at consistently checking in on blogs I love, so it's nice to see some action on instagram.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten really bad at reading lately! My google reader is a mess, so I've been using twitter and instagram to keep up also :p

      Delete
  17. Wow! Hands down! Your outfits are the best. They are so fun and unique. You look great in every one of them.
    australian web hosting

    ReplyDelete
  18. I mean this in the nicest way, you seriously suit that mustache. Love that costume.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The outfit with the polka dot trousers and blue shoes is so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adore all your outfits!
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute outfits , love the glitter mani

    I just started following you!
    xx
    Staci

    http://www.leatherandleops.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. The hen sweater is almost too amazing. Seriously.

    www.tracetheshadows.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. gorgeous photos! love your style.
    would love to see you wearing casper&pearl one day!

    lots of love from the c&p girls,
    casper&pearl blog
    xx

    ReplyDelete