Thursday, September 6, 2012

Wearing the Book: The Great Gatsby.

gatsycover
The Great Gatsby book cover via this isn't happiness// Dress: Anthropologie 2010 (dyed), Shoes: Madewell, bag: Vintage, Belt: J. Crew

Oh dear. It's been a long time since I did one of these--almost a year, if I'm going to be truly honest. I tried to come up with things a few times throughout the past several months, but nothing really seemed to come together and there didn't seem to be much point in forcing it. This outfit actually started as an attempt inspired by a different cover, but going through my pinterest (which, admittedly isn't very full of book covers at the moment) I saw this one and thought yes, that is a much better fit. Things just go better sometimes if they happen backwards.

I'm always on the lookout for new covers of this book (aren't we all) because even though it's required reading at some point, especially for an english student, I'll never love it one drop less. I don't even own any interesting coves of it myself, although I do really love this one a lot, and even carry it around like a friend when I visit the bookstore sometimes (I'm one of those weirdos who visits books they already own or have read in the bookstore just to be near them or say hello). And of course this one is great because it's a little bit decrepit.

IMG_4377

I haven't worn this dress since last year, but I do still love it an awful lot. It's still my most successful dye-adventure to date (there have been some disasters since then that you've not been privy to), but somehow it's a little too, I don't know. Girly maybe. I'm going through a thing these days where I can't decide if I want to be really frilly and all pink and light colors or low-key with the simplest of jewelry and chambray dresses. There's no reason on any Earth why I can't do both, but it's a thing lately. Maybe it's the entering late twenties-ness of this year.  

IMG_4428

Dressing this summer has been interesting, since I've been really adopting a less is more kind of mindset. I just can't be bothered with a lot of accessories or extra bits this year. Every time I tried to do this book dressing thing I always felt like I should be wearing more, like it wasn't a real outfit if I didn't involve more layers. I guess this one is pretty obvious color wise, but I think I'm usually putting too much pressure on myself and the rest of the world to always be clever.

Except that it's summer and sometimes all you need is an easy dress and a pair of flats and all the rest can be forgotten.

Previous Wearing the Book posts:

23 comments:

  1. I love this!! This colour is so beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd bribe many gods to be able to pull off a dress as good as you do. Love you" "wear a book" series! I'd suggest you to stay away from the Penguin Essentials cover, I am passionately hating it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh this is so pretty. shirtdresses like this are my favourite (big buttons down to the waist, full skirts). they don't need a lot of extras to look good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you took inspiration from the book cover and turned it into fashion! You look stunning!

    XoXo
    Plami

    http://www.fashionthrill.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post, the book cover inspired outfit is really clever! The colours scheme is beautiful and really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty colour palette! I love the cover of your book and your outfit looks effortless and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. kater, this is a gorgeous dress! you look like you're straight out of the 50s :)



    rachael

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty! That colour really suits you and I love the idea behind this post x Sushi

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really lovely! Kudos to you for not going the obvious route and doing the Great Gatsby cover that you always see everywhere (though I do love that as well).

    thejoyfulfox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! I love the idea of dressing up like a book!

    Rachel
    floralprintsandcommonsense.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colour and cut is stunning on you! Love this book post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love everything about this, especially the book as inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great feature! I love the delicate details of the dress and keeping the accessories low-key let them shine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this feature when you first started it, so love the fact you have brought it back:) Such a pretty dress too, I love the gray/blue taupe combo at the moment, perfect for the changing seasons!
    Jess x

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a lovely dress, so many delicate details and a divine vintage style. AND I LOVE the book theme!!! I'm such a hard-core reader of classic literature, so I swoon over anything book related...and you really nailed this one.

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG this is such a fabulous idea!!!!!!!!! Great post
    -Jen
    Follow me: http://chiccupcake1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one my favorites of the outfits you've posted. I love the combination of the baby blue and leathery brown. It's almost like a muted version of the complementary colors blue and orange.

    P.S. So jealous of your eyebrows.

    xoxox
    Cara
    http://everydayintrigue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the idea of wearing the book. So creative.

    ReplyDelete
  19. As a librarian, I love the idea of wearing outfits inspired by books! Great outfit! I've been taking the less is more approach to dressing this summer, too! It was just too hot to add anything extra!

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just discovered your blog - love it!!! this is such a great post...cant wait for 'The Great Gatsby' movie this December, hoping Baz does a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete