Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Can't Stop, Won't Stop: Polka Dots.

I've given in, you see. I mean, I'll always love stripes with all my tender heart, but there's a corner of me somewhere that will probably always have a soft spot for polka dots. This has certainly been their year, at least in my book.

IMG_4870

I tried not to take this one home with me. It isn't even really the correct size (I can fudge it because the hips are free and the waist works, thought it pulls a little at the buttons up the front. Thankfully, the bow hides this fact), but I did the wrong thing: I tried it on. I love every little thing a bit too easily, the stupidest little things even, so I didn't stand a chance against this one. 

IMG_4929
Dress: J. Crew, Shoes: Vintage at allen company, Tights: J. Crew 2011, Necklace: Lawrence

IMG_4894

It's not even the only thing I've purchased in the last week to be be-spotted! The other was a pair of tights, but in my defense both pairs of polka-dot tights from last year are either ripped to shreds or lost down the same rabbit hole where That One Sock and Remember Your Favorite T-Shirt Because Where is It live. 

IMG_4900

I've stopped trying to be logical about it all. Eventually I guess I'll get sick of dots and move on to something else, or back to stripes, and be so sick of the sight of them that I'll renounce the whole trend. It's not something I can really see happening, but, you know. It's like how I don't eat cheesecake because I once, when I was 13 or 14, ate an entire one while sitting in front of the computer (habits, habits) and now the thought of them make my stomach cringe. 

But at least this frock isn't the same colors as all the others I've accumulated since the spring.

21 comments:

  1. well, you had no choice. the dress is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But it's so pretty! I love how you paired it with the colored tights :)

    http://theoccasionalindulgence.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's so perfect though! and i really love those shoes.

    i have a few pairs of thick opaque polka dot tights by hue that are AMAZING but i don't think they make them anymore. i've worn them for 3 winters straight so far and none of my them have any holes in whatsoever! i actually have a bum knee from the time i fell down (hard) wearing them. my knee was all scratched but the tights were fine, they're insane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT, THIS IS AN INCREDIBLE STORY! I have a lot of HUE tights, I think they're my favorite. A lot of them have ripped but like, just in the tops? So I just keep wearing them and they're a frayed, ladder-ed mess all like, in the upper parts of the thighs but who cares? Best tights ever!

      Delete
  4. Oh, but it looks so good on you!
    I tend to not be able to resist owl... anything. So y'know, we all have our irresistible pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah that dress! It's killing me it's so perfect! I also have a polka dot obsession, don't try to fight it haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your dress! I have a polka dot obsession too. I told myself I wasn't allowed to buy anymore, but it didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Polka dots are adorable. I really think it's impossible to have enough of them! ;)

    Your dress is gorgeous and I love how you've styled it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm completely in love with your style!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, that second picture of you is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't blame you at all! I think when the year started I didn't own any polka dots...now I can think of at least three polka dot dresses in my closet, and one more that looks like polka dots. I can't resist their call either :)

    thejoyfulfox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colour of those tights is fantastic...perfect with the shoes.

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a lovely dress and the heels go so perfectly with it, they look really comfy and easy to walk in too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I'll finally try some red-ish tights under one of my navy dresses, it looks really nice!

    And I stopped trying to be logical about it a loooong time ago. I've just accepted the fact that I'm alternately obsessive and wishy-washy. I know I fall in love easily with certain things, but although my wallet might take a few blows due to semiannual changes in taste, I just have to go with it. And by go with it I mean try to sell things before I buy knew things, and afterwards, pretend I wasn't just TOTALLY OBSESSED with menswear a year ago and look for polka dotted dresses from the 1950s.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ahh you're so perfect! The colour of your tights go so perfectly with the dress as well. I can't blame you for not being able to leave it at the store! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have the same crush for polka dots! and this dress is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. haha i say just don't fight your polka dot cravings, just give in. they're too pretty to resist, no one will blame you! and that dress doesn't look too tight on you at all, so i wouldn't worry much about that :) i really want spotted tights too, where did you get your pair from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones I was wearing on instagram in one of my outfits are from J. Crew, they're current (they come in grey with black dots and navy with black dots) but I've also got some sheer black ones with tiny polka dots that I got at Target! The good thing is they're super trendy now so they're easy to find!

      Delete
  17. I really love your vintage style!kisses from Italy

    ReplyDelete