Thursday, August 23, 2012

Summer Cling.

I'm still reveling in summer imagery, trolling pinterest and tumblr for outfit inspiration and images that recall the sort of feeling of the season. Like, if I could sum it up in pictures, I'd have it all sorted out and I could start looking forward to fall instead of dreading saying goodbye to summer.
dressandcrowns

Suddenly everyone has got autumn on their breath. The idea of fall is planted; suddenly nights are cooler and the days aren't even that bad now that the heat is golden. But for once in my life I'm digging in my heels and trying my hardest to believe it's still full-fledged summer. How could it be the end of August already? I can't believe a month ago is already a month ago, because wasn't it only just June?

girlsandfood

I know I should be preparing for fall with sweaters on the brain, planning the first few outfits for the days when it's cool enough to wear tights, dreaming of apple orchards and leaves and tentatively sipping hot chocolate while wearing corduroy blazers but all I want now is soft serve and hamburgers, high-waisted denim, the burn of chlorine, sweaty necks, and the bliss of green leaves.


But then I've always been pretty sentimental about summer. 

girls

Eventually I'll get there, I'm just as much a sucker for a good crunchable leaf turned orange, not to mention cider donuts, as I am for driving with the windows down and eating popsicles. It's only right now that the trade doesn't seem even. Maybe if the last winter didn't seem so long, and if I didn't miss green growing things so much in winter, I'd feel a little less clingy about summer.

beachy

There's just still too much to do at this point for summer to be over! And I mean, it isn't really. We're always fooled by September, trickster that it is, into thinking things are going to be crisp and neat, when really it's the one that will turn on you almost more than any other month.


20 comments:

  1. September beach is my favorite beach! Always and forever. You in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly cannot wait for fall. The thing is my birthday is in September so that's probably why I'm not sad that summer is ending. And I honestly don't like the heat, but this august wasn't so bad. I also just love the fall it's my favorite season, I get to wear my favorite outfits and I love the comfortable temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel precisely the same way. I love autumn and I'm excited, but we've got to love every last drop of summer first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful this was. Thanks for sharing your so meticulously and precisely crafted musings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer FOREVER! Although it's nice now that the weather's an even temperature. Fall is fun but summer is bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can't wait for fall, but i feel like i missed out on a lot of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a bit refreshing to see someone who isn't already singing the praises of pumpkin spice everything and layers of sweaters and changing leaves, as wonderful as all those things are. Best to appreciate and savor the present!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How inspiring and beautiful pictures!!! I don´t want to think about fall either, not that I don´t like it, just because here it will be really hot until the end of september :(

    XX http://miramodernonosoybethditto.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  9. i know it seems like overnight the internet turned it's collective consciousness to fall. and even though fall is probably a bit farther away from me than it is from you northerns, it's still right around the corner given how fast this summer has flown by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know exactly how your feel right now. BOO FALL, YAY SUMMER. But I will admit - I think I look and feel the best in Autumn. I think the colors, cuts, and fabrics suit my little body the best.

    :) happy indian summer (fingers crossed)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the recollection of photos. You did a great job.

    altmoda.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Feels like your summer has been a blast, Kater, no wonder you don't want to leave it behind! I've got more or less the same feeling although I've got some fall in my mind already :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also feel like same with you. But fortunately, I live in Indonesia. There's just 2 seasons here, summer and rainy. For this time, the weather is so warm, it just raining about once a week. :D

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. um, the first TWO and the cheeseburger please? holy dina!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm feeling the same way. I'm not ready to start thinking about fall yet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you summed it up perfectly. I'm usually so, so ready for summer to be over and for cooler weather to arrive by now, but this year I feel a sort of dread when I think about the long, cold winter ahead, and the dry skin... Ugh. I'm trying to live in the moment (when I have a moment) before time runs out, and I hope that will get it out of my system so I can fully enjoy the things I usually love about fall and early winter when they come. A humidifier and lots of squishy throw pillows/blankets wouldn't hurt either...

    ReplyDelete
  17. so many stunning photographs. i'm actually completely ready for autumn -- but that's probably because it's the hottest summer on record in denver this year! there's still so much i have yet to check off my summer bucket list though. my biggest regret is that we never went berry-picking? is that small & sad & pathetic? maybe. but i just can't believe we didn't get around to it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. after seeing that beautiful photograph you posted here, i looked at some of the other work by andrew bush. such a talented man!! also, that photo of lana del ray looks sooo much like natalie portman (maybe with a little eva mendes). i need to listen to some of her stuff. i got my camera fixed, so let's have an outing sooooon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I so relate to your feelings...this summer flew past for my man and I. I'm usually so ready for autumn, indeed begging for it to arrive! But I don't feel this year like I really got to savour summer and enjoy it. The man and I went through some pretty hard family things that really took the wind out of our sails, so to speak, and kept us from even seeing summer happening around us. I guess now that cooler breezes and mellower sunshine indicate that autumn is definitely setting in, we'll just have to look forward to next year. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a lovely post :)
    I adore it!

    http://bubblemylicorice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete