Friday, July 13, 2012

Summer Del Rey.

IMG_3428

The thing about summer is that I always have pretty specific, strange, nostalgic expectations for it. I almost said it's got more than any other season, but I live in the Northeast where fall reigns supreme, so that's not entirely true.

Going into any summer, or those days when I'm wearing 47 layers of clothing and my leggings are tucked into my socks, there is this feeling of longing and haze. I know that my memories of summer are a lie but the backlog of them is always really idyllic--all bike rides and thick, bare-legged in the grass, long into the night-time talks with stars and popsicles, lens flares and gauzy dresses. They waffle between something akin to Picnic and Hanging Rock-The Virgin Suicides and the kitsch amusement park bubble-gum smack versions of summer. And it was never really like that, it was hot and sticky like it is now, exhausted from withstanding sunshine, but I somehow can never keep myself from thinking that's how it's going to be.

IMG_3419
Blouse: H&M summer 2011, Shorts: Thrifted, Shoes: Anthropologie 2009, Sunglasses: Faces, Flower thingy: DIY

IMG_3437

Besides all that, there's always the music of summer. The stuff you listen to with windows down, hair a mess, sometimes singing because it's dark out and you feel like you're in your own universe in the car, even though the person driving next to you can hear every good-intentioned attempt at singing.

This summer it's a few bands but I feel down the Lana del Ray rabbit hole right on cue when the weather got hot and sultry. I'm not alone, it seems like a whole Lana del Ray girl gang has popped up on my various online outlets, suddenly we're all wondering why we're listening to this album on repeat, and why do we suddenly have the itch to wear piles of eyeliner and flower crowns in denim cutoffs?

IMG_3397

The good thing is I'm not alone. Once again, my bosom friend and kindred spirit Amy is right there, on the same wavelength, so of course we tried out best to channel this whole Lana Vibe and be totally ridiculous in public.

I have large and small flower crowns for no reason, so it was quite exciting to be able to actually use them. If I had the nerve, I would wear this sort of thing (the smaller one, anyway) out and about, but I never seem to have the gumption to do it unless I'm with someone else. At some point I'll get a proper picture of my shorts, because they were twenty-five cents and are so high waisted they make driving a grumpy activity.

IMG_3387
Shirt: Ancient family relic, Shorts: Forever21 altered by Amy, Shoes: Bought in Japan

IMG_3334

I have to say though, that this is already one of the best summers in a long time. My room is a mess and I'm not entirely certain what I'm doing with my life at the moment, in a month I'm going to be on the other side of twenty-five, but for the first time in a long time I feel like I'm having exactly the kind of summer I dreamed about. It's somehow living up to my expectations, even if some days it's so hot all I can do is lie on the floor and thank my lucky stars for air conditioning.

IMG_3356


IMG_3484

This summer is all kinds of listening to cheesy music in the car, hanging out on porches until long after it's gone dark outside, flopping around in the pool with little to no sense of grace or poise, lounging on the grass, heartbreaking books, new people, horseback riding, short shorts and popsicles. 

IMG_3548

IMG_3504


33 comments:

  1. i'm loving the floral headbands. this hippie look makes me smile!

    xo kaitlin
    kaitgirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a crush on that fawn, clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's your beauty routine? Your skin is stunningly flawless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the floral headbands! amazing! and both of your outfits! mostly i want your hair because it is dreamy and my hair is not nearly that dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dreaamyyyy! i just love your face. i want to frame it and hang it on the wall, in a totally non-hannibal kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha so true and I can totally relate to the over-idealising.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty sure I've never actually heard Lana del Ray sing (it's been a Regina Spektor kind of summer for me, what with her new album), but I do love a girl gang... I should probably get over my fear of looking ridiculous in a flower crown and just take the plunge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, you look lovely. VERY nice hair!

    I'm still longing for Summer - over here in the North-East of England we're celebrating that it's finally stopped raining, and is merely chilly and overcast. Hurry up Summer, I want a flower crown too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. I love your floral crown.

    2. I've been on the "other side of 25" since March & I'm still not entirely certain what I'm doing with my damn life, but my summer is of the awesomest sorts too... so you know what, that's great.

    Now I'm going to go eat a popsicle and a "summery" banana cupcake (if cupcakes could be summer, this would would be). One right after the other.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh man, i've fallen down the lana del rey rabbit hole too this summer. i just haven't had the courage to make my own flower crown yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful and dreamy! I love that your summer is turning out to be the summer of your dreams. San Francisco can never really give us that type of summer since it's a little bit cool and breezy outside right now. Around September or October it might get hot. If our apartment had air conditioning maybe I wouldn't mind it so much. Summer nights are my favorite though. It makes me feel like a teenager again. Driving through the night and just feeling alive!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh lana again. but not just any kind of lana, there are two of them. and they are both beautiful! more than she is though. love those floral sandals also! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your summer sounds like mine! Isn't it wonderful that we can still have magical summer memories well into [albeit, young] adulthood? Here's to the glorious uncertainty of our twenties!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you have beautiful style, and beautiful blog! definitely followed you!
    www.wehaveobsessions.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. ah, you are so incredibly breathtaking, it kills meeeee! also, i feel you on those intense nostalgic feelings for summer. i can still smell the thick scent of orange blossoms in the air just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello!
    I love your blog!
    I just found it!

    I made a blog a couple of months ago too.
    I would really appreciate it if you could check it out and follow if you like it!
    Thank you!!!

    http://newfashionorder.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. It could be worse, you could be in the UK where we've had approximately 7.2 sunny days! And lots of rain- I may as well have not bothered putting my winter clothes away.
    I agree that we all have unrealistic expectations of summer- I expect to spend huge amounts of time drinking gin and tonic in the sun and instead life just continues ;) I have high hopes for my three weeks of freedom in between finishing work and starting my teacher training!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Digging your flower crowns...very boho summer dreamy! And Lana Del Ray definitely fits this time in summer.

    <3 CAMBRIA
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lana del Ray isn't my thing, but you both look like summer fairies :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. nice xx :))


    Saving Thousands of People Hundreds of Dollars a Month

    http://www.saversclub.us/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love these pics and I'm really glad you're enjoying your summer. You've actually made me look forward to ours - and I'm a total winter person! By the way, you have gorgeous legs. You need to wear short short everything all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This article is really worth reading, it has too much details in it and yet it is so simple to understand, Thanks for sharing the picture it has great detail in it and i really appreciate your true artistic work!


    High School Diploma

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aww so lovely!
    Love flower crowns!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You captured the summer atmosphere I often romanticize perfectly! One of the greatest summers I had was a summer after college was done, working at sbux, having adventures with my fellow baristas and having a week long romance with this very lovely British soccer player. (That was also the summer the last Harry Potter book came out)!

    Those kinds of summers now remind me of the movie Adventureland. All "what am I doing with my life" and great music! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely post. Cute sandals. Love your heart shaped glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love how you described the summers. It is true in my that good memories always prevail and they are better (I'm sure) than they really where at the time. This summer I've been caught by the Del Rey fever and read The Virgin Sucides, so you can imagine my need for floral crowns! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I ENJOY this post because 1) yay Lana Del Ray and 2) ugh so true about summer expectations that are actually full of lies. Usually I go into summer thinking the same way and then the mosquitoes destroy my morale and I don't care about anything anymore, but somehow this summer is different and I'm actually enjoying it. Which makes no sense because I'm pregnant and it's 100+ degrees every day. It must be some sort of nostalgia thing, since it's my and Jeremy's last summer alone and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great post! just discovered your blog and I love it!
    I'm your newest follower - hope you can check me out too! : )

    http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. You both look so beautiful!

    http://pocketfullofsparkles.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
  30. I know what you mean about the 'specific strange nostalgic expectations'. Summer just does that to me, even though 90% of my summers have been pretty dull and unadventurous. Which makes me kinda glad Lana Del Ray wasn't around when I was a teen - probably would've spent my whole summer listening to her and crying! Anyway, hopefully this summer brings the dreaminess.

    Love your flower garlands - and can't believe you shorts were only 25 cents. You can't even get a lollipop for 25 cents in NZ!

    ReplyDelete