Monday, July 2, 2012

House Weeds.

IMG_2735
I'm not very good at planning. I tend to let a day have a vague sketch of activities and wing it the rest of the way, and as a result I usually end up toting several outfit options around with me, just in case an occasion requires something more practical than what I've put on. It doesn't always work out, and so there are a lot of times when I end up doing something ridiculous in a dress. In the end it's only clothes, and I usually feel like there's nothing so dirty it can't be cleaned, tears can be mended, and eventually poison ivy won't itch (the hardest part is not doing a google image search of whatever you've got).

IMG_2554
Dress: Vintage, Sunglasses: Forever21, Bag: Thrifted, Belt: J. Crew circa 2009

Last week Amy and I explored one of the abandoned buildings that sits close to the regularly-used roads. Of course, in my excitement I just pulled into the overgrown driveway, rolling over some tall weeds, and we traipsed through some tall grasses in skirts worrying a little bit about ticks, when I could have pulled around the front of the place and not had to deal with any of that on the front porch. We figured that bit out later. 

IMG_2499


IMG_2642
Dress: Forever21, Jacket: Thrifted, Necklace: Etsy

Admittedly we didn't go all that far, since there didn't seem to be much around the back besides a couch on it's side, and oppressive heat often gets the better of adventurers when there is the promise of cool drinks and snacks back home. There's that moment when, trailing through the tall weeds I think, yes this is all very photogenic but maybe I should have worn pants.

IMG_2691

IMG_2666

IMG_2669

This dress is one I grabbed a few weeks ago and woke up earlier than I normally would have to mend it this day. It's probably only got another one or two wears in it, so I'll have to choose them wisely, since I already had to go through and give the seams a little bit more reinforcing, fix every single button and replace a few missing ones, and make decisions about which holes to mend and which ones could stay. It has a little bit of life left in it, but I suspect it will soon be sitting in a pile of things too delicate to do much with.

IMG_2607

IMG_2747
Amy's tattoo for her 3 years spent in Japan, was done by Mel at Lark Tattoo. Please check out the comments to hear a bit from Amy about the story behind it!

28 comments:

  1. I love your dress and these photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poor delicate dress. It'll be like Colin, taken out periodically to simply enjoy the sunshine and pretty flowers.

    Aaaand yeah, pretty sure at least one ankle got poison ivy'd this day XD WORTH IT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that dress is so lovely. the little buttons all down the front. i recently bought a dress like that, and the one time i wore it for 15 minutes in the house, a sleeve ripped, right after i mended the other sleeve. but i'm determined to wear it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like a great spot for photos despite the tall grass and ticks. You should take bug spray with you next time. My brother in law got bit by a tick last year and it was not pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kater i love your writing style! this sounds romantic even if it did involve poison ivy and weeds. beautiful dress, looks like it was made for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That makes for a great photo spot...I never mind a bit of adventure, and people have frequently laughed at (or appreciated) all that I can accomplish in a dress...but I draw the line at ticks! I'm not brave enough to brave ticks :)

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a breathtaking old house! <3 I love abandoned old buildings - especially when overgrown with weeds! My city has LOTS upon lots (!!) of abandoned buildings since the earthquake - but sadly not quite as pretty as this!

    x
    Lost in the Haze: a Fashion Photography Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. That tatoo is so interesting. Has she shared her story behind it somewhere around the internet?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I shall explain it here, as I didn't want Kater to have to detract from her narrative in this entry :D

    Basically I am a Navy spouse, and didn't really expect to make any *close* friends among the other spouses when I moved with the Husbot to Japan. I'm kind of a weirdo with anxiety problems! But I was happily proven wrong and I ended up meeting two wonderful ladies, one of whom was half-Mexican (like my husbot), and both of whom had grown up on the Southwest border. They were my best friends in Yokosuka, we vigorously explored Japan together with a growing number of Japanese girlfriends, and they taught me to make proper Mexican food at home :D So, Sugar Skull Geisha seemed an apropo memento of that time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your dress!

    Have a great week ahead,
    Kaelyn
    http://colourfulbuttons.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dress is wonderful. I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sad that your gorgeous dress is down to its last few 'wearings'. Please tell me you'll make something fabulous out of it instead of throwing it out...DIY really is one half thrify, one half sentimental. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's an orb in the 7th picture; I wonder whose ghost it is?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh I see the orb too...it's very defined and really does look like more than a dust speck....hmm...

    I love this dress, for some reason it brings to mind both Peggy Olsen and Betty Draper all at once, well, the sort of things they wore in the earlier seasons. But yes, ticks really are a worry in skirts, I've been a little careless myself lately while walking around in the forest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This skirt length works so well for you. I loved the dress and I wish I could rock those sunglasses like you do but I end up looking like a Muppet instead. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice xx :))


    Saving Thousands of People Hundreds of Dollars a Month

    http://www.saversclub.us/

    ReplyDelete
  17. u really inspire me. so glad following you..

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do just about everything in what most people would consider inappropriate attire. I go fishing in dresses and hiking in skirts. The trick is is socks and a walking stick! The socks keep your ankles safe from the worst of it and the walking stick is great for beating things down/out of the way. I always wonder what the circumstances of abandoned houses were and why anybody would choose to abandon someplace rather than fix and live in it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG! i love your blog, amazing post !!! <3

    xoxo

    itzymacbeth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your sunglasses are so cool. I love the photo setting with the grass and the shed

    ReplyDelete
  21. Man, how fun is it that you two go exploring and photo-taking together! :D
    You look really nice in vintage dresses. Am so glad I stumbled upon your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello!
    I just found your blog!
    I love it!!!

    I made a blog a couple of months ago too!
    I would really appreciate it if you could check it out and follow if you like it!
    Thank you!

    http;//newfashionorder.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I love her tattoo. And all the buttons on your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pretty photos! Nothing like a little adventure for some cool photos to be taken!
    The dress is quite pretty, with all those buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the retro vibe of your dress. You did a splendid job with the tattoo. Love the story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. These pictures remind me so much of "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" featuring a young Johnny Depp. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete