Monday, June 18, 2012

Simplified.

Shorts: J. Crew summer 2011, Shirt: Vintage, Shoes: J. Crew summer 2011

Every few months I start to feel weird about my clothes. It's a little bit of what I expressed in yesterday's post--suddenly I can't be bothered with cloying things like belts and fussy jewelry. I waffle between wanting to dress and be ridiculously girly and that cool, effortless almost tomboyish thing. Maybe it's the impending heat.


I've been throwing on my favorite shorts and some variation of a blouse lately, going back to my tote bags instead of purses (I think I said that already, yesterday) and wearing the same grungy flats just about every day. I've only gone back to wearing my usual swipe of eyeliner in the past two or three days, and I've been letting my hair go straight instead of clinging to my curls. I switched to a makeup with a little less coverage after seeing some pictures and feeling a little too done. I've started using my summer blush every day, now that it's warm out and the light is all apricots.


I wouldn't say this funny shirt is the catalyst for such kind of behavior, but it's one of the recent purchases that is enforcing it. It needs a better soak than the one I initially gave it, but a little wear around the edges and discoloring hasn't ever stopped me from wearing something before. I've got a weakness for nautical details, and this was one I left behind at my favorite vintage haunt so that I could bring these two tops home instead. It was waiting for me a week later, and now I've already worn it three or four times. 



So we'll see. Looking through the archives (which I've got to buckle down and organize more soon!) this seems to happen every few months. Dresses for ages, ridiculous pinks, curls, lace and then all of the sudden it's cuffed jeans and button-ups. I try not to think about it too much, and just wear what feels right for the day, because there isn't anything worse than getting dressed and realizing halfway through that it's all wrong.


27 comments:

  1. Waaah that shirt looks so cute after some TLC :D Of course, it did beforehand too. I'm really loving summer for the simplicity this year too. Sundresses and flats all the time ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same - sometimes when its warm simple outfits minus tons of details just feel right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the loveliest. I find summer dressing nearly impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that top is really cute. i always find i dress like a weird grungey hipster in the summer... i don't want to repeat that this year tho.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the simplicity. i've been feeling the same way. i have a feeling my makeup is going to be the next to go. you're so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this outfit! so simple, yet pretty
    hellochloerose

    ReplyDelete
  7. great outfit!
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    http://3maigloeckchen.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  8. Evolution of what you wear makes sense, I guess I go through natural ebbs and flows too. I have a feeling I'm smack in the middle of the ridiculous-dress wave at the moment though!

    I love that shirt, it looks so soft and comfortable, but with such pretty details like the collar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the top! and you're hair looks great pulled back. it really emphasizes and flatters your bone structure.

    where do you vintage shop around albany? i've been having difficulty finding anywhere good other than the salvation army.

    http://everydayintrigue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I boomerang between these two worlds, too - and the Summer always seems to play a part in it. You just wanna be: dress, shoes, done. Or shirt, skirt (or trousers or shorts), shoes, done. Tote please. No belts/pins/necklaces/tights etc. - we want to shed them like fur.

    And then, reliable as the seasons, the maximalism comes back, and you lavishly pile on leathers and trinkets and wools, only to shake it all off again six months later.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also fall easily into using a tote bag for a purse and wearing the same flats that have been falling apart since last summer. Your outfit is cute and looks comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That shirt is just wonderful! I've been embracing the wonderful world of shorts lately...and as much as I cling to my dresses and skirts, I have to admit, having a great little pair of shorts is tough to beat.

    thejoyfulfox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your prose about dressing yourself are dreamy. I love all the thought that goes into every outfit, and the photos you take to present the finished product are perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the shorts! I really like simplicity too when summer arrives...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good!I like it very much! If you need more information at http://www.sobeautifulbag.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I couldn't agree more about style bipolarity. For me it's even more extreme - I used to work in outdoor retail so it swings from cutesy calicos and a swipe of lipstick to Patagonia fleeces and stubbornly ugly shoes. On top of that, when it swings "outdoorsy" I vehemently denounce what I then perceive as mawkish style and try to get rid of all my things (luckily, I've learned to stash things away in boxes in the garage as I always do come back around). It's completely seasonal. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well you look absolutely lovely and your hair really suits you up like that. I feel constantly frustrated with my clothes

    ReplyDelete
  18. lovely outfit, I love this shirt!

    I know what you mean. I flicker between different amounts of effort that I put into dressing and makeup depending on the type of year. I think it definitely relates to the weather! Although right now in the UK the weather is rubbish so I'm somewhere between spring and summer clothes with jumpers thrown over the top.

    Love your blog, I just found it through Catherine's blog, SeeCreatures


    raspberrykitsch.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this outfit so much, especially the top!

    ReplyDelete
  20. great photos! Love your outfit, the shorts and the top!

    Vanessa

    http://thepinkmateproject.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your gingham shorts and your style of writing. following!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You do "simple" so well, you are my feminine tomboy inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I too am magnetically drawn to boxier blouses these days. It's summer. Who wants to be all fussy and made up?

    ReplyDelete
  24. The first picture is so beautiful. I don´t know what it is, but I can´t stop looking at it.

    As you say, really simple but pretty at the same time. Love those shorts!!

    http://miramodernonosoybethditto.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete