Monday, May 21, 2012

Gone Dotty.

All J. Crew, except the sunglasses which I got at Faces. I try not to wear an outfit from entirely the same place but, well, it happens.

I've been waiting ages to post this dress! Honestly, I've been waiting a while to wear it at all, and I had quite a different plant worked out for how to wear it (there were even more polka-dots involved originally) but it's nearing 90 degrees these days and most of the extras were just too much. Anyway, I feel like this is the kind of dress that is best left alone. I didn't even wear earrings!



I got it a few weeks ago when it went on sale, on a day when Jen was also in the store and we had a nice, quick little visit! I'm only just this moment remembering that this was the day I picked up the scarf as well, so I suppose they're meant to be worn together. It was a pretty exciting day!


I loved the dress, but it's seemed a bit long, especially to wear with flats. My mom hemmed it up just an inch or two a few days ago, and it made all the difference in the world. I still feel a little bit puffy and cupcake-y in it, the waist hits in a strange place so I think it looks a bit like a child's dress, but there was no way I could leave it behind! I suspect it'll be making a few appearances this summer, with different belts and other patterns, but somehow I like the first wear to be, in a phrase of immense pretension, about the essence of the dress.

 

I've been second-guessing myself a lot these days about my outfits. Suddenly I'm concerned with standing out and seeming too over-done. I feel a bit exposed these days, but maybe I'm just raw from big changes and break-ups. Red with black and white seemed a bit obvious here, but I just couldn't think of anything else I wanted to wear! It's the shoes really. I tried other ones, strappy and flat, other colors, but nothing really worked quite the way these persimmon colored kicks did. I suppose I'll just have to keep going with it until something else springs to mind!

35 comments:

  1. Looooved! The colour touch looks awesome, you pretty pretty person with pretty things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this one in real life yet, but I need to - it's adorable! You pull of polkas like no one else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU'RE PRETTIER THAN CINDERELLA AND YOU SMELL LIKE SUNSHINE!

    Srsly though. I love this dress and you look smashing. Never stop standing out bb :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cute outfit! Sometimes classic pairings are really the best! And I understand about second guessing sometimes. I usually just say 'screw it,' though, and go with how I feel!

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! You are vintage all over.
    chamomiledealer.blogspot.com my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore that dress. It is so pretty. The polka dots are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a beauty of a dress! You look like a modern Audrey Hepburn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! And you have no need to feel self-conscious. When someone looks at you, all they're seeing is a well-dressed, classy lady. And I love the dress, it fits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the silhouette on this dress! i've been feeling the same lately about standing out too much. i've just decided to say screw it and do what i want. yolo, and such.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been all about polka dots lately (wearing them right now, actually) so this outfit is right up my alley. I know what you mean about being reluctant to wear an outfit that's all from the same place, but, well...sometimes it just works out that way! You look great :)

    thejoyfulfox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable! I wish I could wear big polka dots like that but they always seem to overwhelm me

    ReplyDelete
  12. All your outfits are so divine!!! Looking through your photos makes me want to go out and buy these amazing dresses :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. your dress is so cute, you look lovely :) I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this polkadot dress!! Nice spot of color with the red headband.

    http://www.designers-artists.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the whole look. Don't second guess yourself...just wear what you like.

    http://bisous.typepad.com/bisous/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolute classic elegance. I think you shouldn't be concerned about this outfit, you look just beautiful!
    If you're getting extra attention, it's because you look so graceful. Take it as a compliment! Wear what you feel good in and you'll shine.
    Thanks for posting!
    xErin

    anodetoreverie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Red, black, and white is definitely one of my favorite color combinations - it's just so prettyy! I absolutely love this outfit (and you tbh)!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE that dress, I tried it on twice but I had the cupcake problem and didn't want to hem it (now that its on sale it might be worth the effort!). They classic styling of it with red shoes and a dot scarf is so 1950's garden party in my mind. Good color schemes like red black and white will ALWAYS get compliments from me :)
    Also, I feel you on not wanting to stand out when your life is in transition. Sending positive vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know how you feel about the cupcake-y feeling - I've had it myself several times (although I'm a bit older than you so I have to be extra careful about that! lol). I think you look adorable, but also very sophisticated in this outfit. :) Lori

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous! I love the persimmon wedges. They add just the right amount of pop.

    ReplyDelete
  21. DOTS! HEADSCARF! Your hair accessory skills are A+. <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful and classic outfit! Love the colour of your shoes! xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is so nice to know that someone whose fashion sense I admire feels the same things I do when I get dressed in the morning. If I wear something different I tend to worry about standing out but then I have to remember that that is a good thing. I think you look wonderful in this dress and I love your elegant, classic style.

    ReplyDelete
  24. love this dress. :) http://lovesimplegreen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous! I absolutely adore everything about your outfit. And don't worry about being overdone! I think it's much better to be a little too dressed up than not dressed up enough, and really... why not dress up? It's a good thing to stand out when you look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You look so cute and so fabulous!:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello! I'm new to your blog and I love your outfits! So much that I did an illo of one! I hope you like it :) http://poppopportraits.blogspot.com/2012/06/girl-in-polka-dot-dress.html

    ReplyDelete