Thursday, January 19, 2012

Going Outside was a Bad Idea.

Skirt: thrifted, Blouse: Forever21, Cardigan: estate sale, Beret: now-defunct French shop in Woodstock, Shoes: J. Crew

In hindsight, I probably would not have chosen today to do an outfit post. It was bone-cold today, windy,   the kind of day when I usually do my best to stay inside at all costs. Nevertheless, coat came off (because I knew I was not going to have the wherewithal to stand around and take pictures of that too) and I ducked out of the car to grab a few outfit shots. As a result we've got half-closed eyes and strange hands. It was all I could manage, and confirmed to myself that the milder weather posts are usually my favorites because there's a freedom of movement in nice weather that just doesn't exist in the cold.


I broke a rule when I bought this skirt. No more grey wool skirts, I said.  You have enough, I said, pawing through the racks. But nope, this one I needed. I might shorten it, to make it a bit more distinctive, just to the knees so it's still on the long side but a bit less difficult to pair with coats. 

It wasn't really warm enough for it anyway, but it looked sunny when I got dressed, so I suppose this might be a repeat outfit for a day when things are warming up. If I can just make it through February, I think I'll be alright. But goodness, do I miss the green. I'm thirsty with longing for some vegetation in the world. 



This bag is another of my mother's estate sale finds. It's vintage B. Altman, and one of the most delicious purses I've ever seen. It's small, but sneaky, because I can fit just about everything I need in it (well, almost. Extra shoes don't quite stuff inside, but I can usually fit my phone, rosebud salve, wallet, two lipsticks, bobby pins--everywhere, an extra scarf, my keys, and some other little odds and ends that have no point but it's good to be prepared for every eventuality).

You might also have noticed a little house-keeping going on around here! I'm slow, and my layout skillz are not fantastic, but I'll get everything filled in eventually, and until then, I hope you'll hang in there with me!

41 comments:

  1. oh i'm so in love with that darling little berret! so fabulous.
    you look great

    xoxo katlin
    kaitgirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know how you feel :( it was snowing like crazy today in my neck of the woods...(toronto). i love your beret and that little bag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of your nicest ones ever!!! Worth chilling your bones.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like the new layout so far! and this outfit! i don't have the kind of cold that you have, but i'd say you look cute. your makeup looks pretty darn flawless too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the exact same thoughts taking outfit photos today. My nose is super red from the cold in all of my pictures. Whoops! Anyway, this is a wonderful outfit. That skirt is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heart your style so bad!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok, second outfit post in a row that you're wearing that skirt. OMG, I love it. and I;m jealous. So sorry that I missed you last time you were in town. Hope that you visit soon.

    -Lincoln tAFT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beret-skirt: yay gray wool! despite the cold, you look lovely still. I slow clap you for being able to stand there without a coat. It's also freezing here (literally, streets are shining with ice) and all I can take off of me when I'm outside are my sunglasses.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This outfit is all kinds of wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. GUH. This is such a lovely look, and you really cannot tell how cold it was based on the pictures! Your makeup looks absolutely impeccable, by the way!

    I'm loving the layout update as well ^^

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look lovely! It was worth the cold ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're so flawless. :) What color is on your lips? It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well I am glad you did an outfit post today - you are lovely and inspiring. I love the shilouettes, textures and colours you put together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some of my recent outfit shots have been in that nasty breathtaking cold too. Spring can drop in whenever it likes! The wind adds a lovely colour to your cheeks, however. : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a beautiful post! Lovely photography, and your outfit is so sweet! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahaha I love the title of your post :D And your outfit matches the blustery day! Love it : ) I added it to my pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this outfit! I think that the skirt is great, and yes, you definitely needed it. Tea length skirts are useful to have! Also, I like your new header a lot. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look very beautiful! I also looks so cold!

    http://madnessanmusings.blogspot.com/2012/01/daily-used-makeup.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look beautiful. I'm so glad you were wearing a hat in that cold!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sometimes its so hard to do outfit photographs in the chilly weather - but you look stunning, and I'm glad you took the photographs - because you inspired me :)

    Stay wonderful.

    sending you happy spells

    amyflyingakite.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Someone mentioned your makeup already, and I agree that is stellar. Could you one day do a post on your makeup routine(s)? Your looks for various occasions? You're the best. xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. you look beautiful despite the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your outfit! It's such a classic =)

    heiter--wolkig.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. We appreciate your sacrifice. These are beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  25. its amazing that its so cold there yet you still have flawless skin!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You do look chilly, but gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You can never have too many woollen skirts. This is a really sweet little outfit. I know what you mean about having to take your coat off for photos. I suppose it makes me appreciate what models have to go through when they have to stand in front of the camera in not so comfortable situations:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. the outfit is just stunning, cause it is so descret I think :D I love it!
    :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. You still look gorgeous under the cold. Love the total outfit, really comforting plus the fab bag.
    buy aion account

    ReplyDelete
  30. Like the new layout, very simple and lovely. Great skirt and the purse is really gorgeous. I'm not a fan out taking outfit shots in the winter either, I get all watery eyed.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a ladylike outfit! I love your impeccable style! I'm so glad I found your blog!

    XoXo
    Plami

    http://www.fashionthrill.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this outfit! It's so fabulously 40s!

    dp
    x

    www.inanityandthegirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. love the hat, love the sweater, love everything about this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  34. you look a bit like jena malone! :) i think she's cool
    lovely blog

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your skin is lovely.
    Great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love that skirt! it is such a fantastic length that is so hard to come by....
    the whole outfit is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  37. beautiful skirt and cardigan

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lovely as always. And is it odd that I'm envious of how perfectly rosy your cheeks are?

    ReplyDelete