Thursday, July 28, 2011

My Favorite Scarf: A Retrospective.

I love scarves. I end up grabbing them everywhere I go, buying them even though I'm not entirely certain I'll wear it, and now I have a drawer that is bursting (although my collection is nowhere near my mother's, which is also beautifully organized. Sometimes mine aren't even folded, and I drape them across my room pretending that I did it for design reasons).

In the end though, there is one that I love above all the others. I worry about it when I can't find it, which is frequent because I so often grab it on my way out the door that it might be in a pocket, tote, or bag (sometimes it's still knotted in a blouse). I usually have it with me, either to tie onto said bag, or just thrown inside because most of the time I'm in such a rush in the morning that I'm not sure if my outfit feels quite right until hours later. Thankfully, my two go-to ways of wearing my best friend of a scarf make me feel instantly fashionable.

The other day I wore it on my head.



At the end of last summer it was a bow-tie.


And it dressed up my dingy little tote.


A bow on my head for a freckled birthday.


And a few weeks ago it was a bow-tie again.

The thing about this scarf is I never imagined it would be the one. It's the right size, and somehow the colors are just perfect. It makes me look like I tried when I'm at work, up to my elbows in flour, when I forgot my mascara. It goes with stripes, flowers, and polka-dots. It's just nautical enough without adding to my stripe addiction.

I wear it, without exaggerating, probably three or four times a week. I don't know what I shall do when it disintegrates into the universe. It is my faithful friend, my outfit-fixer, and probably the one item of clothing I could not do without if I tried.

26 comments:

  1. I love it when you find an accessory that just goes with everything. I love scarves-- I have a little hat-box full of them-- but I never wear them! You've inspired me to start putting them into my outfits more often.
    Also, I love, love, LOVE your freckles. I always wanted more freckles, and I'm jealous at how pretty yours are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh yes, I have a love for scarves as well! There are so many pretty ones out there and they just add the perfect punch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so good at creatively integrating scarves into your outfits! I am always picking up pretty vintage ones at antique stores (I especially love those funny novelty print ones), but like you, I definitely have my "go-to" scarf that finds its way into my outfits on a regular basis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It just goes to show that we dont need tons of the same thing, your one scarf does the job of many :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you inspire me to wear scarves more. i'm trying to get used to them, but i'm still having trouble with it.

    also, those jeans. give them to me

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got to take a page from your book and integrate some of my many scarves into my outfits on a more day to day basis. Yours really is so lovely and fits your style perfectly. Just darling!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when you find that one accessory that completes everything you wear. Something that can be worn with anything, and that you just fall in love with.
    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the most ridiculous collection of scarfs that I do not give the love I deserve. I know I should get rid of some of them really, but because they are kind of dinky, and don't take up too much room really, I am rather reluctant. This one does looks rather lovely. I only recently discovered that the little square ones which are pretty useless for wearing around your neck are perfect in your hair when folded a few times. I also have this really narrow Topshop one that I never wore as a scarf because it was so insubstantial, but likewise, perfect in my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like a darn fashion disaster now! I only wore scarves the way my Mother would (you know, sort of like a scarf in the winter -- wrapped around the neck) to add some color. That or as a head/hairband. But to use it as a bow? OMG!

    :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh! Would you pretty please do some sort of "How I Tie My Scarves" tutorial?

    Also, do you have any pictures of your favorite scarf just laid out flat? I'd love to get a good look at the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love scarves too, I tend to wear them on my head cause they really add something to my (very) short hair. I really like the way you wear yours as a necktie, what a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing freckles you have, darling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is rather beautiful, and what could be better than something so cherished AND versatile?! I am amazed by how many uses you have put it to, these little sparks of imagination are so lovely. And i adore the image with the freckes:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have the most beautiful porcelain skin.
    I'm addicted to scarves as well.
    Lovely outfit.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm addicted to scarves, but have to find my favourite.

    Wear it 'till it drops. Literally. :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the Birthday photo redux... one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  17. fun and versatile! You pull off all looks very nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice choose of outfit.. It looks perfect.. By the way, I love your skin, I'm so envy in your skin.. I hope I have that skin too.. :)

    More hugs,
    Trish @ Decorated Flip Flops

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a box full with scarves, but don't really use them. I think I shall try use them alot more, after seeing what you can do with it. Thanks for the inspiration,

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just found your blog, and I lovelovelove it. And I love that you dressed as Lupin for Harry Potter. He's my favourite character, too.
    I just thought you should know...

    ReplyDelete
  21. love this post. scarves are so versatile and i think i forget that. i am just smitten with how you've used this scarf in your outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute scarf! You look gorgeous wearing it on your head...
    Really nice

    ReplyDelete
  23. this is great! i, too, have pieces that i find myself wearing over and over again and that i'm concerned about wearing out!

    ReplyDelete
  24. that scarf is so versatile! and you really work it well! :] thanks for sharing inspiring ways to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm sure you've heard this a gazillion times and it's probably obnoxious by now, but I am captivated by your gorgeous freckles! They're just lovely against your fair skin!

    I love the photo of the scarf in your hair. You look beautiful, especially with the red lip color. And that scarf is the perfect accessory!

    Love your blog, which I just recently discovered!

    ReplyDelete