Sunday, June 19, 2011

Clermont

I have a lot of memories of places that I only barely remember in the way where I can't tell if they're real or just images from books or movies that I've stolen for myself. A lot of these places are historical sites or other picturesque places that I visited as a child or adolescent, that I'm certain exist, but of course I hardly paid attention it when I was there or was only barely cognizant at the time of anything other than my current, phase-ful, obsession.

It's hard to get back to places when you don't remember their name.


I have a very (well, relatively. It's not that strong, it's just distinct I suppose, in the general feeling I get from it, but the image itself is fuzzy and sort of lacking in definition) strong memory of this place. I remember wearing a white t-shirt, playing with a necklace made of a plastic lanyard that I had looped through a bangle, sitting on the railing on front of a stone lion (I might have been sitting on the lion. I did a lot of sitting on sculptural animals for a while there). I think I remember wandering into the house, the entrance hallway, because doors were open on both sides, and I ran into a woman who was a tour guide or something, but I don't remember talking to her or anything at all. I remember some cracks on the ceiling, or a watermark, or something. In my memory of it, I spent a large part of the time there wandering around waiting to do something else.

Eventually, it turns out the place I remembered is Clermont, with it's deeply sloping hills and the frighteningly wide view of the Hudson River.

Outfit details: Dress: vintage, via Five and Diamond; Shoes: J. Crew; Bag:fieldguided



It might be one of my new favorite places to go. Optimistically speaking, I suppose I should warn you that there will be future outfit shots taken here, since I imagine summer picnics and wandering of trails. In the end though, I'm never sure if I'll follow through on those kinds of daydreams, but we did end up back there this time, so that's hopeful.



I do wish my hair would hurry up and grow. I'm so wistful and sad for long hair in the summer. There is that thing that happens, like when people who want have babies but haven't suddenly see them everywhere, I keep seeing these long, floaty braids streaming all around and all I can do is shake some strands and hope it loosens some length.



Pictures taken by John M.

30 comments:

  1. i think your hair looks lovely as it is. and that dress! seriously! oh my.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so beautiful! I love your dress!

    xo
    Janelle

    www.janellehaskin.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful location, and I hope you make it back for more photos or just to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos are beautiful! What a lovely and dreamy place. Your dress is so pretty, too. I love the stripes! And your hair looks absolutely darling just as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy I actually get to see photos of this place you have mentioned time and time again. You do it perfect justice in such a lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so lovely, you really are stunning. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favourite post by far. I love how you put the idea that childhood memories could be stolen from movies and books. I'm glad you realized that particular one was your own. :)

    But I love your 50s ponytail! It looks so good with that ribbon.

    Arianne from A + B in the Sea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your hair, and i followed your blog!
    Visit me!
    www.fantailflo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. your bangs are totally cute and your hair is lovely! long hair is such a hassle in the summer heat:P

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love your dress, and I think Clermont is the perfect backdrop for your photos! I hope you do find your way back there for future posts (and for your life in general). It looks like a lovely place to spend the day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your hair looks really nice even if it's shorter than you want right now. The stripey dress suits you really well by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous house! And you look so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a perfectly romantic place! Its a very distinctly american manor.

    I love your dress and how the colours are just in harmony with your surroundings. Also I think your hair is just perfect in its ribbon. My hair is so heavy and thick in the summer, I wouldn't survive in the us heat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh but your little ponytail is so adorable and looks so darn cute with that dress! I definitely know what you mean though, there's something about summer that just seems to suit long hair, even if it does get sticky and messy and impractical!
    And again, I love your posts and your writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These photos are really beautiful! And that dress is to die for.

    http://lifeisaromanticpoem.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a beautiful, dreamy spot for photos! I adore you dress (and little ponytail too! ;).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your hair is so cute, especially with the amazing dress. It's looks very 1950s.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i have so many memories like this where i can't half tell if they're true, if i dreamed them, or if i made them up! that's so cool that you actually found one of yours - and such a stunning location!

    by the way, i know you wish you hair was longer, but in that last photo it looks so cute in that little ponytail with the ribbon - such a perfect length!

    ReplyDelete
  19. you look like a porcelain doll on these photos

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's funny that summer of all seasons makes you long for long hair. I adore having long hair but summer is just so not long hair friendly, much too warm, and I spend most of the season with it up and tucked away in a tight bun.

    This looks like such a lovely place. I'm with you on wanting to go take photoshoots in special places and just not winding up doing it though, bad habit!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can relate to so many parts of this post! I've been in a short short hair phase for a few years, but suddenly feel an intense, overwhelming yearning for long, long hair. Unfortunately, my hair is basically pixie length, so hopefully in three years I'll appreciate my patience for dream hair.
    Also, I have been having so many fantastic smell/sound memories based on my childhood recently. There's this certain ac smell that I remember from Disney World rides that I've been smelling everywhere. Also, I had a very tasty mixed drink recently that tasted just like a fruit rollup.
    Anyway, this post was great and your hair looks great.

    signed a very wordy, albeit regular reader.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh what a beautiful place, and a beautiful memory. I love that dress on you as well. Don't worry too much about your hair, once it's long you won't remember ever feeling that way.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I truly think this is a gorgeous dress and love that it matches that house! That is so cool that you remember having memories inside the house. Really interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely dress!
    These are very beautiful picture, what a beautiful house!

    Your hair is really beautiful too :)

    http://sweetharvestmoon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your dress is perfection, and I love also the little ribbon in your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Adorable dress ! so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. My gosh - this is just the lovliest dress. In fact, your whole blog seems to be filled with well-curated oufits :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. My heart does a little flip every time I look at these pictures. Your dress is a dream.

    I love how historically rich the Northeast is, but sadly I don't take advantage of it as much as I'd like to (or should). My mother and I have an ever-growing list of places we want to visit, Clermont included.

    ReplyDelete