Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Berry Picking.

Yesterday was a real true-blue summer kind of day. I woke up early, ate candy for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch before heading our for the first embarrassingly typical summer activity of the day: berry picking.

My 'tourist' shot by the sign.

If I'm being honest, I feel pretty lukewarm about strawberries. They're very nice, but I'm a raspberry gorger at heart who occasionally dabbles in blackberries (I do not like cherries, and will almost never reach for a blueberry unless it is all that is there), aside from the fact that the berries gleaming under the little plastic boxes in grocery stores are strange, freakish behemoths compared to the little gems of normal strawberries. Coincidentally, I will eat strawberries in their natural state one stained handful after another.

Outfit details: Shirt: J. Crew; Shorts: J. Crew; Sneakers: Bensimon; Watch: J. Crew; Hat: Forever21



For two or three summers I've been envisioning a blog post of berry picking, with some winsome summer frock, a straw hat, or something properly farm-ish in nature. Instead, I ended up in my trusty gingham shorts and a ratty striped t-shirt that ripped at the sleeve (hidden, cleverly, in these pictures) when I put it on. In the end it seemed more right to be less prim and a little torn at the edges for this sort of elbows and knees in dirt activity.

This is also a much more typical outfit than what usually shows up here. Most of the time, especially because of work, it comes down to what is best for moving around in the heat while not looking like a dehydrated leaf.




We visited some goats and sheep before heading home, to plop strawberries with cream on top of pound cake, fall into the pool, and ride bikes around the neighborhood. My arms are properly pink, despite liberal application of a usually trusty SPF, my legs are heavy and tired, so it seems it was all meant to be for the eve of the first day of summer.

Pictures taken by John M.

21 comments:

  1. I love pick your own, I could do it for hours. I want a whole garden like this someday. I love berries, all of them, but blueberries especially!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I have planned for the next week or so, too. I love strawberries and blueberries and cherries.
    I need to find a place to pick your own raspberries and blackberries, because the ones from the store never have enough flavor, so I've never been a huge fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been berry picking or apple picking - and seriously, this is at the TOP of my to-do list for summer (after I realized that I had missed LILAC FEST).

    You look perfectly dressed for the occasion. Wish I was out in the fields with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pattern mixing. And I can't believe you don't love strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your pic <3

    http://nemesisiodenia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. that sounds like a lovely day. I am a strawberry nut who dapples in blackberries every now and then. This outing would have been right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look really cute with your hat :)

    http://sweetharvestmoon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really wish there were some farms nearby me, or that I had a viable way of reaching them. I really would love to go berry picking! I went blueberry picking in some wild groves in North Carolina. It's such a fulfilling feeling, coming home with a haul of natural spoils.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was never one for strawberries either, until I tried some British ones, so good! And I just had cherries today haha.
    Also, your outfit is perfect, stripes and gingham with that lovely hat and those sunglasses, you look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect berry-picking outfit. I can't think of a better way to ring in this brand new season.

    Do you mind if I ask you a question? Your skin and makeup always look so flawless, and I was wondering if you'd share which products you favor? I have so much trouble finding good foundation in fair shades and I'd give anything for a face as fresh looking as yours! Care to share your secrets? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. strawberries aren't my favorite either. raspberries are where it's at. but i love this outfit of different prints. you look darling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you are perfectly dressed for berry-picking! You look lovely Kate (:

    Well, I do like myself some strawberries but cherries are my absolute favorite. I could eat them all day long (in fact I have a hard time stopping, once I get my hands on them). I haven't tried fresh raspberries as they are not easily accessed where I'm from, but now I really really really want to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It must be so nice to live in a place where you can pick your own berries! I've always wanted to do that. It looks like such a fun outing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Picking up your own berries makes you feel so satisfied! Me and my husband have a vegetable garden and we planted some strawberries, raspberries and mulberries plants so I know what I say :)
    I love your outfit by the way, you look lovely!

    http://lifeisaromanticpoem.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to love strawberry picking as a kid. My aunts would joke it was a good thing they didn't weigh the kids on the way out for the weight eaten in strawberries hah.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmmm. I would love to pick fresh berries someday. I don't think the climate here is right for it though. We're a citrus state mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I go to pick strawberries every year! I can't wait to do it this year.

    http://afeitar.blogspot.com/2009/07/berry-picking.html

    http://afeitar.blogspot.com/2008/07/strawberry-picking.html

    :) It's never quite hot enough here though to go in shorts, plus where we go there are usually a lot of nettles and I learnt the hard way to wear jeans...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I really love your hair! I want to go berry picking now too..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a perfect summer day. You are so pretty! Man, now I'm craving a strawberry shortcake...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love those strawberry fields:)
    Except the fact that "Strawberry fields forever" is my favourite song (well, and it isn't about strawberry fields literally) I love all the strawberry cakes, pies and desserts... and the fresh strawberries are the best fruit ever!...

    ReplyDelete