Sunday, January 23, 2011

Children's Hour

I've been on the lookout for a sweater from the boy's department (specifically, from crewcuts) for a few months now. The tricky thing about it is I'm not exactly boy-ish in figure, and while squeezing myself into child's clothing is a talent I used to be quite good at, these days it's a bit harder. But after months of digging and searching, I at last found a size 12 sweater from the boy's department to call my very own.





This is the kind of thing I've been loafing around in for weeks. I can't be bothered much with accessories--my poor, neglected watch was the most effort I could muster--and I just want to be warm. Generally, it comes down to what looks cute under a coat.





I'm also finding that new hair brings new feelings about clothing. I've been having trouble for a few months with the fussier side of things. I can't help but be drawn in by bows, lace, little collars, chintzy patterns, kittens with bows on their necks and all manner of tea party paraphernalia personified in outfits, but all the same I find that these days it's just a bit too much. I want to pare things down, wear simpler outfits with cleaner lines. It's the trench-coat-and-a-black-dress feeling.

I'm also discovering that bangs grow like the fastest weeds in the West, and have an ever-developing mind-of-their-own. I haven't quite progressed to styling them (I don't know how to blow dry my hair. I just point the thing at my head until it's dry, and then adjust accordingly with hot rollers), and so far the air has been really helpful with all of that.

In the meantime, it's still winter, seemingly forever.

Outfit details:
Sweater: J. Crew, crewcuts
Skirt: J. Crew, circa 2009
Tights: Hue
Watch: Thrifted


P.S. I've been working on cleaning out my makeshift closet, and so far I've listed a few of my less-worn vintage goodies in the old etsy shop. Please take a look if you'd like :) More things will be added throughout the week! Some of them are really lovely, and need loving homes!

25 comments:

  1. It has been wicked cold this month, finding the right sweater to live in is an achievement. As for the bangs, well use a flat iron, it also curls hair and does wonders for bangs. Love the watch by the way, no one wears them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree about that a new haircut equals new thoughts. I just got a new cut this weekend - and I am totally uplifted!

    When you blow dry, try putting your mousse or gel in and flip your head upside down. Ruffle it around with your fingers to make sure it all gets a shot of hot air. When it is approximately 80% dry flip your head back over. Use a flat brush to brush it in the opposite direction and then once it's dry brush it back to the desired position.

    That should give you lots of volume!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have a boys flannel shirt from target, and it fits sooo awkwardly at the hip! it's funny. i guess i dont have the boyish figure i once did, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your sweater! I know what you mean about simple outfits. Sometimes I feel out of place with girls my age just wanting to wear a lbd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lovely sweater!

    I love borrowing my brother's sweaters and wearing them on chilly days.

    I know what you mean about bangs growing fast! I finally gave up no mine and let them grow out. They're still in that awkward stage where they're not quite the same length as the rest of my hair...

    ReplyDelete
  6. no one i know even dresses up remotely. so lately i haven't wanted to be so fussy either.
    i love that sweater. i also love rocking little boys clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's so much of this I could have written! I love mens jumpers because I do like that extra bit of room but I completely empathize, I don't have a boyish figure at all, but I do like more masculine straight cut clothing now days, like you I find myself moving away from the frills and lace.

    And as for the hair, completely, I dread the "fringe trimming day" which is about every six weeks (well its in my eyes annoying me for a week or so before that time), its so time consuming trying to cut the damn thing straight, my friends suggested a hairdresser but a student like me that gets her hair cut every six months or so will certainly not be handing out money to hairdressers when i could do it myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thats a great sweater and I bet is was a lot cheaper since it was a kids size. I havent really looked into JCrew crewcuts line but I think I am going to have to now

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your sweater. I have quite some clothes from the kids collection at Zara and love them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am in the same boat as you. i always scour the kids section at thrift stores for kids size l/xl plaids, sweaters and even coats.

    this sweater is a super cute find!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I had good advice for styling bangs, but I was a failure at it when I still had mine! They never looked the way I wanted, and they grew SO fast! Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love wearing mens/boys clothes. That sweater is great, and looks so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kater!

    First of all, I must say that I am in love with EVERYTHING in your shop! Especially the creamy wool dress and the velvet burgundy frock. Oh my goodness. I need to figure out where to ship (maybe I'll just overwhelm my parents in SF again)--oh, expat life!

    And yes, a haircut changes everything: your silhouette as viewed by friends from across the street, use of earrings, necklaces, make-up application, posture... It's part of the joy, the thrill.

    I've found in the weeks since chopping my long wavy hair and bangs (mine were always messy, no worries--yours look fab!) into a pixie that I am craving peter-pan collars like mad!
    And I always want to wear mid-calf length skirts and dresses. I did find the black high-waisted trousers of my dreams, and I am tucking lots of feminine blouses into them...The boy's sweater is genius for you--great colors and shape. Nice and simple, like a trench and black dress. But cozier.

    xoxo,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nominated you for a Stylish Blogger Award - http://themcawesomes.wordpress.com/2011/01/26/stylish-blogger-award/

    ReplyDelete
  15. ack! i LOVE your boys dept find! no, really. i never thought about shopping in the boys department. hmmm...i wonder if i could pull it off. doubtful. but maybe. you've inspired me. stay warm!
    -brittney
    http://adayinlifetoo.blogspot.com (my daily outfit blog)

    ReplyDelete
  16. love love love it. you are so beautiful :)

    Escape

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great discovery ! I feel like in a time machine when visiting your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your bangs. I think they look very cute on you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love this jumper! looks comfy (:
    I agree with you about the clean line thing..oh to be chic and minimalist!

    annah x
    girlandbird.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been looking for sweaters like this too but they're always the wrong shape/colour/fabric. That, or they've gone all bobbly and horrible!

    Thanks so much for your comment the other day. I really enjoy reading your blog so it was really nice to read that you like mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i've just found your blog and i love your look - so beautifully classic. thought i'd say hello as a new follower, too! x

    ReplyDelete