Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Dressing Like: Calculette

Ages and ages ago, when we were all free to move our arms about without being hindered by winter coats and other cold weather accoutrement, Kim and I went to see Micmacs (I actually can just barely see my ticket stub on the board above my computer--July 8th, it says!). I really loved it, and have been waiting for way to long for the DVD to come out so I can be sad that I do not have friendly dancing sort-of-robots to hang out with all day.

I was thinking about Micmacs when I was lamenting my ability to find the correct shade of blue Bensimon sneakers. I am a lucky enough gal to have received the DVD for Christmas (and have proceeded to watch it four or five times in one or two days). Consequently, it happens that the blue sneakers were a disgusting mistake—so says the director—but of course I still want them.

But just look at this girl! She is adorable, with her strange glasses and bangs and severe braids! Calculette, as she is named, is my newest inspiration for dressing with her little cotton vintage dresses and cardigans, legs poking out of skirts with giant socks swathed around her ankles. I supposed it's sort of the spring-ier version of the sad-clones-in-sweaters I've been citing as my winter wardrobe, but it makes me feel all antsy for warmer weather already, even though today is the day we are being threatened with mountains of snow.

















I'm afraid my caps aren't terribly good, and as someone mostly in the background it's hard to get decent shots of her outfits, but it will just be an excuse for everyone to see the movie rather than looking at my grainy little stills.

17 comments:

  1. this movie looks adorable!
    i love her outfits and most of all, the glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This movie looks awesome, and I just love Calculette's style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. eee! i have this little flick waiting for me in my netflix queque. can't wait to see it and all of calculette's adorable wears ...

    bex.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the trailer and thought it was dumb, but if you tell the opposite, I'll now have to see it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love her glasses, it reminds me of Betty the Ugly...

    The Goads

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah I've read about this! But I didn't go see it when it was out because the cinema it was showing in was three hours away, heh! Even just by looking at the stills, before reading the synopsis you can tell its from the hand of Jean-Pierre Jeunet! The girls are always oddly quirky, but find their love in the end, so his films give me hope!
    x

    also nice to see more heroines with glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah I've read about this! But I didn't go see it when it was out because the cinema it was showing in was three hours away, heh! Even just by looking at the stills, before reading the synopsis you can tell its from the hand of Jean-Pierre Jeunet! The girls are always oddly quirky, but find their love in the end, so his films give me hope!
    x

    also nice to see more heroines with glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's cute! I haven't heard of this movie, but I'll check it out, it looks quirky and great.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah I forgot how much I enjoyed that film! Need the DVD now! You're right she is just so cute! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh I've wanted to see this for long - by the same director of amelie, right? looks so cute :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That movie looks really sweet. I must remember to watch it!

    Christy of Dress Rehearsal

    ReplyDelete
  12. never heard of it, but this looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like a cute movie. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  14. ah, this is such a good film!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh thank you for these screen caps. I LOVED this movie, and I too couldn't take my eyes of that girl's outfit. Adorable is the word indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. now i want to see the film AND get some calculette-inspired clothing!
    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh I haven't even heard of this! Feel out of touch! Definitely going to check it out now.

    ReplyDelete