Friday, August 13, 2010

With a Bow on Top.

It's been a whirlwind of activity for the past few weeks, or perhaps it's only been two, so much that I've been stockpiling little bits of outfits and have nary a time to wear them! I'm getting that feeling that always comes around the end of summer, when there is still a good month and half to go and I'm starting to want nothing more than cardigans and tweed-things. I’m ready for fall. No more gauzy dresses, tank tops, sandals. Bring on the tights, cardigans, crunchable leaves. Keep the winter though, we can do without that. Just autumn.

In the meantime, I've been meaning to post for months about my go-to hair. My hair, in it's unfortunate state, is a strange not-quite shoulder length and not quite long. I waffle between wanting to be a more gamine version of myself and chop it all off, do the Charleston, and attempt to be effortlessly cool that way, and letting it grow to my elbows like two years ago.

In the meantime, up in some pins and with a scarf it goes. Some time ago, I would guess over a year, there was a girl on The Sartorialist with her hair pulled back and a greenish and gold scarf tied on her head. Her little bangs poked out under it to one side, and her light blue (possibly patterned) shirt was buttoned all the way up to the top button. She was just lovely, and I have no idea where the picture is even if I've saved it one hundred times.

Anyhow, I fairly soon after that started wearing scarves on my head.





Mostly to work (because i am always on the lookout for things to wear on my head there), but now it's becoming an almost-daily thing. I have large chiffon-ish scarves that give me nice floppy bows, and teeny square ones like this that give me strange little stunted bows. Occasionally I toss it to the side, jaunty, and if my bun is loose enough and low enough it's a bit apropo for a Gatsby-party.



I've also, as you can probably tell, become attatched to the coral lipstick I picked up for my Mad Men casting call picture (you can vote again there!). It might be my favorite lipstick, possibly of all time, but we'll see on that one. It's fantastic, stays on relatively well through the day, and has a really nice texture. Oh lipstick, why did I wait to long to wear you daily?

Stay tuned for the beach, Saint James shirts, and all the rest.

Apparently we all have scarves on the brain! Check out this adorable collection on the how-tos of tying scarves linked on Style Bubble

39 comments:

  1. These pics are sooo beautiful, I like to wear scarf too,but my hair is too short for ponnytails(or stuff like that),but I'll wait and than it will look great :D

    http://micimathonka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about autumn. I can't wait for it to come but am not excited about winter's cold weather. I want to wear my stockings and tights without looking like a fool for wearing them in the summer. But I'm really going to miss wearing summer dresses. I'm also tired of the heat.

    xoxoxo Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the same thing with scarves, although I do get some odd looks sometimes – I like it all the same though, it makes 'everyday up' hair more interesting.

    I've been after a pretty coral lipstick shade all summer and that one looks perfect – pity I'm on the perfect lip colour for autumn hunt now! Best of luck in your casting call.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your hair up like this! The little bow is so lovely. I need to find some nice up-dos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your hair like that! I think we're having the same problem (not quite shoulder length with urges to cut it all off) and I tend to tie mine up with a ribbon when I can't stand it down. Good luck with the mad men call, I've voted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also have awkward length hair. I keep meaning to experiment with scarves... so far all they give me are crooked cat-ear bows. But I'm inspired to try again!

    The coral lipstick is lovely, a very good colour for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so beautiful. I love these photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, I'm just about ready for fall and heavier fabrics too. Lovely photos, and your scarf looks beautiful. :)

    http://www.stylestance.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just voted for you on the Mad Men casting site! Your outfit in the casting is truly perfection, you totally look the part. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like your lipstick and have been hunting for a good coral myself. I really want you to win the mad men casting. Let's all keep voting!

    Bea from A plus B

    ReplyDelete
  12. i really love this especially with the polka & coral lipstick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay, I have the same problem with my hair. I keep braiding it but I've also been on the lookout for something else. I'll have to try this now! :D

    Also you are so beautiful. I love your freckles and if that makes me sound creepy, so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful inspiring pictures. I have to try out this hair do :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this look, it works great on you! :D Linked to your post on blog facebook page :D

    I know the post is mostly on the bow and the makeup (which are lovely), but I really like what you're wearing (blouse/dress)... I think it contrasts really well with what you focused on in this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. you have the most amazing freckles

    ReplyDelete
  17. The bow looks so pretty! Love all your Mad Men looks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. How I never came to wearing scarves in my hair sooner is beyond me. You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this. any way I can find to get a scarf on my noggin is a good one.
    -C

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, i just might have to steal this look from you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look fantastic in a scarf. I try and try to make them work for me but apparently I am meant to have nothing on my head but hair.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohh I long to crush leaves under my shoes too! And for the wisdom of the new summer leaves to bloom into fantastical colors and age. Anyhow this was such a lovely post. I wish the moon could tan me pale so I could have your skin for a day. You are so very very pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a lovely hairdo! if only my hair would cooperate and would stay in anything but ponytails! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ugh, now I wish a hand't cut most of my hair off seeing your lovely top knot. I must say, that you inspire me to wear things which I eyed suspiciously, but tried them on anyway because I saw how good they look on you. So now I tried a head scarf and it looks good!:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. ahhh! i love the scarf in your hair! i wish i was a brunette so it would look more subtle on me. i dont know how receptive middle schoolers would be to their teacher havin a bow on her head.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Like this photos! Beautiful, your skin! : )

    Regards from
    http://mazeofillusion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. You rock this look! The lipstick and scarf look amazing on you :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  28. The picture of your side profile is soooo gorgeous! You always have such enviable red lips!

    ReplyDelete
  29. love the lipstick, and scarf together -i've been trying lipstick lately and i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. love the scarf and lipstick together, i've been trying more lipstick lately, will have to try the red, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Kate, I love your blog, and it is so inspiring for a fellow vintage lover <3 Can you tell me how on earth you do your hair in a bun like that?? I can't seem to get it right unless it's right after I wake up in the morning while I'm still sleepy, lol.

    Visit my blog: http://veanderson.blogspot.com

    Or, email me at:
    victoriancowgirl.ander@gmail.com

    Thanks bunches dear & God Bless!!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have a habit of buying lovely scarves and then talking myself out of wearing them. No more!

    ReplyDelete
  33. pretty pictures, love the scarf!
    come follow me xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the headband and your freckles!

    Love,
    Kat

    www.dreamsdispersed.com

    ReplyDelete