Thursday, August 19, 2010

Striped Shirts: Saint James, at Last



In the list of things that I hoard collect, striped shirts is high on the list. Two or three weeks ago I counted them, and subsequently forgot the number. I can assure you it was a preposterous amount that was forgotten to spare myself the inevitable mortification following admission of such a number. No one needs that many striped shirts and yet each one is beautiful and unique (perhaps that's pushing it, but I do love all of them in their own ways).

For my birthday then, it seemed appropriate to ask for the ultimate striped shirt from Saint James. No more crappy (sorry, shirts) jersey numbers without the proper weight, this was to be the shirt blessed by Chanel and Picasso, not to mention the American girl's dream version of what her French counterpart would wear. I've been wanting one for ages, and finally I've got two!



Sizing was tricky. While generally I am in favor of large shirts (effortless, blousey) the unisex Meridien II (I got mine from J. Crew, but one can always pop over to the Saint James website) was massive on me to the point of comical. No amount of sleeve rolling would save it, so I opted for the XS. It's a bit tricky as well--it doesn't exactly hang when it reaches the hip area, but I've never been one able to style onself as a waif.



I love it to bits, even if it is still to hot to wear it just yet. Soon enough it will autumnal, and I'll be able to wear little else. I also snagged the Naval II tee, that one in a larger size, but as it's the tiniest bit lighter, it's in the wash after several wears already.

Pictures taken by John M. at Wainscott Beach

17 comments:

  1. oh wow.
    i can see why they are classics.
    it looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh I love classics like this too, so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you really can see the quality in the close up. looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can never have too many striped shirts, and that one is a beauty. I've been looking for a good one for when it gets colder as I'm not sure what I'll do without my summer wardrobe staple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love striped shirts..but these ones are just a little bit expensive ;P

    ReplyDelete
  6. st. james is still high on my list but i can't figure out my size either. i think perhaps i may be an xxs (when its available) since i'm PXS or P0 in jcrew, but i have no idea. and i felt so weird in the store when i stopped by (i was the only one in there, other than the saleslady) that i couldn't make myself try anything on and i fled. pffft.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lusting the top! these photos look so beautiful!

    www.lovelywanderlust.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a habit of collecting striped tops and dresses. I have so many that I took a photo of my drawer full and it's quite appalling! I haven't yet found the holy grail of striped shirts yet though! Something is always a bit off (size, style, shape). :)

    Bea from A plus B

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a pretty birthday gift! I always love nautical stripes too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now you have the ultimate striped shirt, the jewel in your collection and it looks lovely on you from what I can see. And I love that you're not a waif, nor would i want you to be!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a great shirt. Now adding it to my birthday wish list of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its really nice and it looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am waiting for my very first Saint James tee to arrive in the mail. How do you wear yours and do you find it rides up high from your hips?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am waiting for my very first Saint James tee to arrive in the mail. How do you wear yours and do you find it rides up high from your hips?

    ReplyDelete