Monday, August 2, 2010

Cats and Dresses.

I'm on vacation at the moment, but of course I knew I'd be finding all manner of amazing things and so did not bother to make a note on this here blog! Plus, we all are aware that I tend to wander away for two weeks at a time and not say a word, so a prolonged silence would not have been uncharacteristic.

Today we stopped at the world's most glorious vintage/antique clothing store. The prices were so high that I couldn't have bought a thing there, but it was a particular kind of store that is so well-stocked, so loved and cared for that it was a treat just to go in a touch and see all the pretty clothes. The two women in the store were just lovely. They came and spoke to my mother and I for a good chunk of time about vintage clothes, about the intense work that goes into sewing, and showed us some gorgeous Victorian pieces.

However, there was one dress that that captured my heart and imagination like no other dress. Of course, I had to leave it behind, because my poor little bank account would have been not just empty, but negative. But look at it! It would have been the most perfect birthday dress!





Oh I love it! But I will have to be content with my quickly-taken little pictures, and perhaps doodling it in my journal. Perhaps someday I will wear it in a dream, though that might be even worse for not having it.

Part of the consolation of leaving empty-handed was the lovely little kitty sleeping in the sun on a pink set of chairs outside the store.



Oh she was so sweet! The whitest white, except when she started rolling around on the ground, with her pink nose and ears and little pads on her feet! And when she opened her eyes they were the most glorious shades of blue and green, like a little sea-cat!







And of course, just to keep the ball rolling, if you would please be so kind as to
VOTE FOR ME
in the Mad Men casting call :D Your words of encouragement and support are so sweet, they just make my day!

40 comments:

  1. Where are you on vacation? Does that dress tag say $500?!?!? That's a cute dress, but that is totally unreasonable!!!!


    www.prettydamncute.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your vacation sounds lovely! It's too bad about the prices, but at least you got to look around and find some gems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the little polka dot dress! i just hatteeee it when i find places that overpriced, it makes me feel hopeless.. haha!

    CLOTHESURE

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dress is so cute! But $500?? Craziness. That kitty is adorable. I've never seen a cat with eyes like that. Amazing... :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad that the adorable polka dot dress is so outrageously priced. It's so disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a cat with eyes like that, so so pretty....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh polka dots!

    One time I saw a stray EXACTLY LIKE THAT at my parent's house, he only stuck around for a day but I wanted to keep him so badly because of those eyes! He didn't have a tail either, the strange little fellow.

    Thought of you last night while watching Mad Men! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, you're gaining votes really quickly! GO YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet sweet dress. That's sad that it was so costly. Thank goodness for cameras to capture what you can't take home.

    The cat pictures make me unreasonably happy. Cats seem to be an animal that is fashionable without wearing a stitch of clothing. How clever!

    Enjoy your holiday!

    Christy of Dress Rehearsal

    ReplyDelete
  10. its a really really really pretty dress.

    where is this vintage store?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous dress, it is a shame about the price but I guess that is what happens when the stock is so well selected, and in such good condition. You do pay for quality huh!

    Sweet cat, I go all gooey over kitties too

    ReplyDelete
  12. $500 is madness.

    But—Kitty!

    I agree, her eyes are just reminiscent of the sea. Good luck with Mad Men competition!

    A from A + B in the Sea

    ReplyDelete
  13. cute dress!

    http://micimathonka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That dress is lovely, what a shame! I love that cat, it has the most beautiful eyes ever!
    From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, what a dress!
    and such a cute cat, hehe :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love vintage!! Just found your blog, it's great.
    http://washingtondcfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful dress.
    And the cat too...just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That dress is adorable, but if I'm reading the price tag correctly, it's overpriced by about five hundred percent at least! That kitty is adorable. Random cats make the day so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is that dress $520?? Is it 1930s? Its quite nice, but I'm sure you can find another beauty for a third of the price, is it made from silk or something? It would be a dream to run a vintage store!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The cat is adorable! I so miss having cats...

    That dress is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! what a dress ... sometimes i think i am missing a chip when it comes to etsy selling ... hrmmm. .. $500 is a little high!

    that white kitty belongs on dreamcats!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know exactly how you feel. I hate vintage stores with supper high prices. It's not nice. :( That dress is amazing though.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely dress
    have fun on vacation
    the cat is just gorgeous
    xo
    DOLLMEUP

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wanna let you know about my newest blog feature, please read about it and let me know what you think! Thank you so much! <3

    http://fraupixiedust.blogspot.com/2010/08/i-challenge-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful!!!

    http://minnja.blogspot.com/


    LOVE minnja

    ReplyDelete
  26. 最敏捷的,未必贏得競賽:最強大的,未必贏得戰爭:時間與機會才是主人................................................

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've voted for you several times...your look is damn perfect for the Mad Men call.

    That cat is so sweet too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. you know I think their is just something about cats and dresses that just go together and when its a lovely white cat with beautiful misty blue green eyes well thats even better, good luck on the mad men casting call I hope you win

    voted!

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow!! adorable post...

    I had a new post in HERE or score my hypeed contribution at HERE please (thanks if you did that)

    Want to exchange link? Email me in icecreamyworld[at]gmail[dot]com or comment me in my blog

    Thanks a lot,
    Amanda "Creamy" Apriani
    http://creamyandicecream.blogspot.com/
    Twitter : caramel_manda

    ReplyDelete
  30. That definitely is a delightful dress. Sorry you couldn't get it. But maybe someone will surprise you with it one day, which will be even better. :) That cat is beautiful. I wish I could have a cat, but my hubby is "allergic". ha ha. Hope you're having a fabulous Sunday!

    xx Love & Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sea-cat! :D that dress is lovely! too bad its so much!

    -molly (lexie's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  32. That cat is the sweetest thing ever! Too bad about the dress. I think it's more fun to want things than to actually get them sometimes, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi! I've never commented on your blog, though I've been loving it for a little bit now. I just wanted to let you know that your Mad Men post inspired me to buy that coral lipstick tonight, and I've been prancing around in it ever since I put it on my lips! Thanks ever so much for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete