Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Strategies of Acquisition.



Here's a quick peek at three new closet dwellers. It's so funny, I go weeks and weeks and find nothing I'm really excited about, and then all of the sudden luck piles up and kisses you on the nose, dropping vintage goodies into your lap (I can never decide if I think it's alright to change from 'I' to 'you' in my sentences, oh dear).

The first dress is spectacular for it's strange print, although I suspect that it's home-made and the hem is a bit dodgy. It's longer on one side, and I think in the back, than the other and the front, but somehow it doesn't look awful. It's such a strange print unlike anything I have (that is, not floral or gingham) that I had to scoop it up.

I found it at the same store where the stripes and dots dress is from. It was hanging at the door, and I knew that, barring it being too small, I would have it. It reminds me of loads of dresses on Etsy that I let go. I've been looking for a dress like this for ages--something with contrasting stripes or stripes and an alternate pattern--in black and white, and somehow luck was on my side.

The butterfly skirt in the middle and I met two or three weeks ago. I was buying a dress instead, and had to leave the skirt behind. I knew it was glorious, and out of fear someone else would love it too, I stashed it in a basket of vintage purses, way down at the bottom. Today I went back, praying and hoping it was still there, and after a few seconds of harried and panicked digging, pulled it out. I don't normally go around hiding things like some kind of manic squirrel in a dress, but I knew how versatile this would be and would have been fitful if someone else got their hands on it!

(The word strategies looks weirder and weirder the longer you look at it, till you go cross-eyed and it means nothing. What?!)

Also, thank you everyone for all your thoughtful comments on my last post! It's such an inspiring movie, and yet at the same time it's so complicated. I really appreciated all your comments and discussions, everyone is quite clever and lovely! It's so nice to meet kindred spirits on the internet <3

22 comments:

  1. Congrats on the finds! And you're not alone, I also kinda hide things if I need to come back for it! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the butterflies skirt and the stripes/spots dress. I hide things too! Scarves in shoes, bags in boxes of records etc. Naughty but sometimes necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all look beautiful, but I must say it's the stripey/spotty dress I'm most jealous of... I often mix the two in outfits but wouldn't be great to have a dress that combined the two!
    I'm sure I've hidden stuff in shops before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I like the third one the most! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was admiring the butterfly skirt on flickr, its a beaut! I used to hide things too in high street stores, although obviously they rotate the stock more often. Who knows if someone else is doing the same and hiding a dress on you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! What amazing finds! I went through one of those dry periods at the thrift/vintage shops earlier this spring... and things seem to be happily picking up a bit lately. ;) It's always fun to find things after a long drought of goodies!

    All the pieces are so pretty, but the first dress is my favorite! Or maybe that's just because I bought a dotted fabric similar today. ;)

    ♥ Casey
    blog | elegantmusings.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome dresses,I'll be looking forward to see how you style them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can’t believe you did that!! No judgments, we gotta do what we gotta do right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice finds! I feel like it's easy to indulge in under handed or slightly obsessive behavior in second hand stores. For instance in certain stores I always try to find things wrong with the clothes so I can ask for discounts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, lucky you! Those are sweet finds :)

    The print is so interesting. I like that one and the polkadots and stripes. I can't wait to see the posts where you wear them.

    Going thrifting today! Hope I'm just as lucky!

    B from A plus B

    ReplyDelete
  11. The black and white dress is such a winner, I have tonnes of black and white dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the dress with the strange print, too. (:

    I've tried that before in a thrift shop; I hid a wee lace top behind a rack of dresses. Sadly when I went back a week later it was gone. At least you had better luck than I did!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i am really, very much loving what i can see of that skirt! great finds, and glad that skirt was still there, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely finds! I'm so glad you were able to go back and get the butterfly skirt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Theose look like some good finds.
    (I have also been known to hide things and return for them later on. I think I once hid a pair of shoes i like in a charity shop behind some bags for two weeks...)

    ReplyDelete
  16. what gorgeous finds! i'm always on the look out for non-stripes/florals/polkadot printed things, but they seem to be few and far between!

    ReplyDelete
  17. really like the dots dress !

    ReplyDelete
  18. all such lovelies! and lucky to be in such a wonderful closet as yours...

    ReplyDelete