Thursday, April 15, 2010

Bad Dress Dreams.

Every weekend my boyfriend obligingly takes me up to Saratoga, usually on Friday or Sunday, and I drag him around to all the antique and vintage places there and on the way. Sadly, I think I've just about picked my way through most of them for a few weeks (even though I still faithfully return the next weekend to see if they've gotten anything new in) and will have to mosey off and save my pennies for a while.

Generally what happens is I see a dress, don't buy it, and think about it for a week before going back and handing over my pennies. Like this one:



Oooh, boy, did I hem and haw over her. I loved it, it's blue. It has little flowers, is old, little snaps, cloth covered buttons, and all that. But just look at those sad-eyed droopy tears! She was still a pretty penny, even with the rips, but I had a horrible dream that someone else bought it! It was terribly. Just about the worst nightmare ever, so that very day we drove out to Saratoga and I got my grubby little hands on it.

Since then I've just been staring at it. Such a dilapidated little dress, with little holes. I suspect some spiders or other variety of insect was living in it for a while (oh, ew) because of the little spun-web type things lurking in some of the folds and a few tell-tale holes that I surmise were nommed upon.



I tackled the tears since these pictures, but it just doesn't look right. I need some kind of little bit to put over it, to help reinforce the threads and cover up the odd-seam. I just don't want it to look thrown on, like it is hiding an obvious defect!

In the meantime, I left a pair of 1950s Montgomery Ward overalls at Divinyl Revolution (formerly Last Vestige). They were adorable from the front but a heinous crime from the back. But, you know. It's been 3 weeks, so I might just have to suck it up and wear them all droopy, or hope the tailor can help me out.

22 comments:

  1. I hope the tailor helps you out too :) The dress looks indeed in delicate condition but man oh man it's just has this meek beauty to it. Such a pretty blue too! It's safe with you for sure! I hope you get to enjoy it lots when it's all ready to wear:)
    Cheers to the lil blue dress!
    Much peace and love
    - Ginela

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should sew pockets over the rips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh. I tried that dress on when I was in Saratoga this past summer!!! I hemmed and hawed about it too and reluctantly decided to leave it behind. Haha oh dear, that's kinda nuts and pretty cool that we tried on and picked out the same dress! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. cannot wait to see how you revamp this

    ReplyDelete
  5. (also I misread your post: I'm so excited it has ended up in your hands!! You're sure to make it as lovely as can be--I'm so glad it went to a good home!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely!
    Sew up the tears and iron it and it'll look as good as new! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks very cute indeed! Look forward to seeing it on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do that ALL the time.
    It's very frustrating. I get really freaked out that someone might have just brought the dress of my dreams (Of course I only decided that it was the dress of my dreams about 2 seconds ago though) Eventually I have to go back and buy it.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's such a sweet dress, I hope you can save it <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like that dress had a moth problem. if you want to be on the safe side, put the dress into the freezer for a week, take it out then and when it has reached a normal room temperature, steam/iron it. that should kill everything that was left of those things. it looks like such a treasure!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I'm a first time visitor to your blog and love it! I'll definetely be back soon :)
    (p.s. glad you found the dress still there waiting for you!)

    www.sarabbentley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. keep us updated, i'm sure you'll work your magic somehow :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this dress!
    http://justeventeux.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is why I never buy vintage, I'm always scared of situations like this, and I can't really sew!! But that dress is gorgeous, and if you can get it fixed then it's an awesome buy!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cute dress! Love the little flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Man, I do the same thing. I'm still hitting myself for not getting some things at the antique fair the last time I went. That is a beautiful dress. And I'm guessing you're talking about a different Saratoga, and not Saratoga, CA... right?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You could do some cute embroidery over the tears - maybe some sweet flowers to kind of match the ones on the top of the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel good that other people also do this. I drag my boyfriend every where trying to find more dresses.

    I recently purcashed a child's dress just because it was at the favorite shop for 3 years.
    I couldn't take it anymore. It needed to be mine.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I would be so nervous to take on this challenge, it is a gorgeous dress despite flaws.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing! I have a dress with the same issues. Mine doesn't have a zipper or buttons so it's even more confusing. Putting it on is a pain, but once it's on it's perfection. Might have to do a blog post on it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The dress looks looooovely! I can't wait to see you wearing it sometime soon... :)

    http://abookofblair.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. if you ever feel like leaving your bf behind one weekend, maybe we could take a trip to 'toga together for some dress hunting!

    ReplyDelete