Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Wintery.





I know this is being really over dramatic, but this is how I feel about last night and this morning's weather:



(I feel I should also say that I often, throughout my days, say that statement in a manner attempting to sound like Bernard Hill up there, but as of yet no one has gotten my rather obtuse reference.)

At this point most of the snow on the roads and sidewalks has melted, but it's only a matter of time before we're all waist-deep in the stuff. I was at least a little bit excited for it--a statement I'm sure I'll regret in a short while--and even ran a little bit in the snow as I dragged a shovel behind me to dig the car out.

I was also incredibly excited to wear my new ridiculous hat. It's probably the warmest thing ever, and I've learned that having a warm head makes standing in the cold bearable for infinitely longer than with cold ears and blowing hair, but mostly I love it for it's Dr. Zhivago-esque quality. The downside is it is totally enormous to a ridiculous degree, and if I am not careful I look like an electrocuted version of Garth Algar.



At the moment I'm quite happy to dress up for the weather, although I'm already frustrated with the feeling of pants-tucked-into-boots, but we shall see how long this lasts! I'm wearing my fancy coat, a Christmas present from my grandmother last year, because my two other coats are missing buttons (I eternally pull of buttons; I don't know what the deal is). It makes me feel very bright though, and mildly ridiculous with my huge hat, but somehow I feel alright about that anyway. I bought some real live winter boots today (wellies are lovely, but no matter what they lock the cold into my toes) and hopefully I will be releasing them into their natural habitat successfully in the coming months.

25 comments:

  1. i do love your new hat. i saw one very similar to it at the thrift shop the other day and was very tempted to get it. only if it were cold enough in SF!

    anyhow, you wear it well and i don't think you look like garth at all! :)

    love the color of you wellies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am always pulling off coat buttons too! i wonder if its just us. ps: you look lovely in your winter gear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bernard Hill has the most amazing voice! I adore your outfit and especially that hat... I wish I had something like that when I was going to college in NY state. It might have saved a few of my brain cells from being frozen and rendered useless!
    the renegade bean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I love the photo of you in the snow - it's such a great backdrop (even though it was no doubt freezing). Two other things I love about this post:

    1. Your awesome new hat.
    2. How you managed to reference Lord of the Rings and Wayne's World in one post. Kudos to you, Kater! (I was in mini-hysterics over your use of that LotR clip! I say that sometimes as well but like you, I get crickets with that obtuse reference.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want snow, no, I need snow! I live in Scotland, and you think we'd be snowed under, but no, not even a hint of snow yet. So disappointing.

    I'm in love with your jackets and boots. And you wear the hat well! If I wore it I would look like Garth - but you look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha...I love that you mirrored Theoden's reaction, I would totally have been all over that quote.

    And as I said on flickr, I really so love how bright and festive that coat is, its bound to make going outside more pleasant an experience. And the hat, you pull it off soooo well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you look winterlicious! i love the coat and hat. i just bought a similar hat at a thrift store last week. haven't had a chance to wear it yet, but our first snow hit this morning so...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should just copy/paste this entire entry and substitute my picture that I took yesterday! ooooo winter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahaha this post is amazing. LotR and Wayne's World references, plus a picture of you being adorably unhappy in the middle of lots of snow. Love it! <3

    (Plus the coat and boots are PERFECT together-- my fave color combo!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your outfit looks so warm and perfect for the cold weather, not to mention it's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's an awesome hat and you so bundled up! no snow here but it's cold. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! She really is!
    PLEASE COPY THIS TEXT FOR MY BADGE.
    Nice Blog..hey check out mines http://betsy-haier.blogspot.com ..and if you like it follow me...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. "...So it begins"

    Hahah, you're always amazingly funny, it's a pleasure to read your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish it would snow here. It's so darn cold anyway, it might as well. I love your hat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah ha that video made me laugh! I'm actually quite jealous, I keep hoping and wishing for snow over here but that's what happens when you sometimes don't get it even once in a year. You look lovely though, and I too am always pulling buttons off coats! And never getting around to sewing them back on..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just bought my son one of those hats...his 7th grade nickname right now is "Comrade"...:)

    What is it with coats and buttons...love my camel colored peacoat but always lose the buttons...trying to find some fab ones to replace them and make the coat look new!

    Wish we had some snow like that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. so much snow! i wish it would come to az!

    haha there's something about that lotr clip... one day my brother and i watched all the preview for the two towers on the dvd's special features, and not one of them left that clip out. for the next month if anyone said "so it begins" we'd both break out into random laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i wish i had snow here - it feels like its cold enough!

    love the color of your boots - so different

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooooh, what a gorgeous scene! :D I love snowy pictures so much!
    If only it would snow here... :( But I live in Southern California, and it's never snowed in my town. The best we get is rain. :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my! you're right! you remind me of Lara from Dr. Zhivago. Gorgeous colour could and you look so cosy that you're warming the cockles of my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hahaha, you crack me up darling! That line, the dramatic music and the weather. Priceless. Thanks for reminding me how adorable and funny you are! Thanks for sharing with the rest of the mortal world...

    ReplyDelete
  22. i really like your coat!
    it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cute winter outfit :D I love hats like that, though I've never considered getting one for myself, and your coat is so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete