Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Appled Days.

I bought a giant bag of apples at the co-op this week, and have been munching on them constantly. I like when they are small and fit in your pocket without appearing bizarrely bulbous. Food has been a kind of accessory lately--it seems my pockets are always filled with some kind of candy or snack that gives me something to do when standing about in the in-betweens (while also satiating my sweet-tooth, or serving as a neat-o snack between meals). Somehow I felt it was appropriate to eat an apple while wearing a white dress: Snow White-ish, if you will.


(A week and a half later, all the leaves are gone from the trees.)

As I'm sure you noticed--or maybe not, but you know--I've momentarily fallen back into an old uniform. White dress + black tights + cardigan = The Kater Uniform. These shoes are so high that I've scarcely worn them since I bought them last year, but I do love them to little bits. I've fallen out of practice for heel-walking since neither of my jobs really facilitate the wearing of heels, and it becomes harder and harder to be comfortable in them. For the first time in ages, I feel unsteady on them, oddly limited, and as though my uncoordinated abilities are magnified to the highest extent. A few home-heel-walking sessions are in order and must be penciled in these days (even if the impending doom of winter weather threatens to kill any semblance of civilized footwear).

Uniforms are weird things. I've posted about it before--way back when--and I don't mean the kind of uniform one would wear to school. The default, fool-proof outfit, is a weird thing. For a few weeks (although my scant posting doesn't offer much proof of the statement which is to follow) I've been wearing jeans and pants far more often than skirts or dresses! I'm not certain what this does to my reputation for it certainly makes it much more difficult for anyone to recognize me. A friend only weeks go described me to someone who was bound to see me at work as 'The girl who always wears dresses,' a rather inaccurate categorization these days since I've hardly bothered. I'm challenged by jeans, and pants. It sort of feels like making an outfit around them is much more difficult than with a dress. It involves more than one piece for one, but then when I wear an outfit that I consider successful that involves pants I feel a smug sense of pride.

I've also got to take back everything I ever thought that was horrid about distressed jeans. I'm not going to run around in anything shredded to within an inch of it's life--I don't think I'm edgy enough for that kind of thing-- but a little knee hole in the Wayne & Garth spirit seems oddly alright and fun. Except when it is very cold and the air goes inside your knee hole, and you are very uncomfortable.

Either way, these days I'm a little bit more alright with a bit more tarnish and decay encroaching on the world of primness.

(Also, on a separate note: I'm so sorry to everyone who has tagged me for memes and the like in the past few weeks months. I'm afraid I tend to just not have the time to fill them out, and I also forget and lose track very easily. I'm sorry a million times, and I truly appreciate it <33333)

38 comments:

  1. that white dress is so beautiful!

    it's funny that you say it's more challenging to create outfits out of jeans/pants because i always seem to fall back on jeans/pants because they're soooo easy! dresses are harder to "remix."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely adore your style <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love white dresses and black tights, it's so turn of the century! Makes me think of all those old photos and cabinet cards. Apples are the best snack, I eat them pretty much every day! I'm in pink lady apples right now. :)
    By the way, I finally got around to updating my links and added your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your uniform is lovely

    i like the idea of always having snacks

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute outfit, made extra cute with the apple bite.

    on an unrelated note, I just read your "twenty-something" intro and it make me smile. lots. because well. I can use that to me now too and it got me all excited.

    because I used to always want to be that twenty-something girl.

    wow.

    thanks for having such a lovely blog. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That outfit is gorgeous! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful uniform. I definitely see pants as a challenge, too. Maybe it's just because I've always worn them solely for lazy days, but I find it really hard to even try to style them in a non-boring way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. a pretty snow white oufit! hope that apple wasn't poisoned ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel the same way about pants - I have a much harder time putting together outfits around them. I see people wearing pants in great ways, but somehow I just can't capture that myself. Sigh.

    Oh, and I also always carry snacks. I become a really unpleasant person when I get hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love this! It's such a perfect uniform to have.

    I so agree about the jeans/pants thing. I have to wear pants to work because otherwise I feel like I'm wasting outfits.. especially since I can't wear heels, so that throws anything off with dresses/skirts anyway. So I just wear pants and a top and cardigan and feel so boring and blarg. I feel better knowing you're dealing with the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm... Apples! I am a big fan of those little clemintine oranges, myself. Great to just throw in a purse.
    And, when in doubt, I tend to pair things with black tights too. Though I have yet to find the perfect white dress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely outfit. Your dress and brogues are fantastic

    Polly c

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kater...
    You are you and you outfit is stuffing. I too am a fan of apples...though I really enjoy putting peanut butter on mine. I just find myself in a rut just opting for jeans and a tee shirt..I i stay at home with 3 kid's. Could you post some pics of you in jean's so we could see how you spice them up.
    Thanks
    Blessings
    LC

    ReplyDelete
  14. wonderful post. i really love that you used the word bolbous :)
    as for the pants issue, they are my easy go to for an outfit. i guess if i owned more dresses i may feel differently.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i know what you mean about making outfits around jeans - they always seem much more boring than skirts and dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  16. yummy. I eat an apple everyday. I feel I had been a bit 'uniform like' for awhile so I've been trying to force out of it by looking everywhere I can for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Appropriate indeed!

    Love Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is such a pretty uniform! i love the little peek of lace and the pairing with those shoes.

    i feel the same way about pants and jeans. i recently decided that i want a pair of distressed jeans. who knew?

    and i have so totally been referred to as the girl who always wears dresses. oh silly people!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think that you look lovely in your "uniform" style... and wow, apples are my favourite fruits! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. i have no idea what to do about heels either. i work at a vintage store, and all of my dresses either my brown or black oxfords. even though the heel is only two inches, my feet feel like hell after standing in them for eight hours. so i stick to flats, which kind of work but most often don't.

    i'm the girl who always wears dresses too. and i say the same thing: it's only one piece! easy peasy! people are most often shocked when i come into work wearing pants, like i changed who i was over night.

    love the apple-y crispy sweetness of the white dress. lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah, I definitely know what you mean. At school and at work I'm always known as "the girl who wear dresses." But lately I too have been succumbing to jeans!
    Love love love your outfits, though. You have amazing style!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I think the idea of pocket-apples is just the greatest things. I need to make sure I always have pockets, and that they have tiny apples in them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love apples! I also love your style!

    Lovely blog!

    colormenana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know what you mean about the heels. I keep buying them, but never find the occasion to wear them, or feel comfortable enough to wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so enchanted by that dress & the dark tights.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Perfect outfit for fall :) I love munching on apples too during the fall season.

    http://kimvee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooooh! I like your style and your fashion and design tips! I gave a look to your blog and added to my blogroll...hope to see you sometimes on my blog as well ( www.si-oux.com ), thank you for sharing your sensibility and creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is a fabulous outfit - you look gorgeous! :)

    www.friendinfashion.blogspot.com

    x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really really really love your blazer, in fact, I love it so much I'm just about to have a look on ebay for a similar one!

    Also it's so true about uniforms. I think mine is probably my black skirt, tights and cardigan - all I seem to change is the top!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love it! Very creative!That's actually really cool
    天空之城裡看馬達加斯加激動之餘與女友做愛徵信社隨意自拍此時跟徵信社人員在聊天室裡討論情色內容的正妹牆如何變成AV女優可是徵信社將我們色情照片放在成人圖片區的這部落格隨意的舉動被徵信社翻拍成a片異界裡的部落格徵信社人員做徵信社經營的ut聊天室人氣爆增的人氣部落格有空來參觀
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the outfit
    Gorgeous white dress

    xx
    FashionCloud

    www.thefashioncloud.com

    ReplyDelete