Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Drawn to It.


(Factoid: I originally, wherever originally is, wanted to go to school for illustration, but because it is frustrating and not as easy for me as writing and also because I--as you can see--never finish anything, I scrapped that idea and the self from the above doodle. Much happier in the English/Writing sector of the world, even if it does make one a bit bookish and mad.)

My new favorite thing (for right this second) is the What I Wore Today (drawings only) group on flickr. It's basically awesome, and nice for those days when I cannot be bothered to take pictures of my outfit or none of the ones I do take come out satisfactory.

It's also nice for imaginary outfits. It's like self-paper dolls, although I have yet to do something like this, so that when the planned outfit gets spoiled or pushed back because of impending rain or weather that is warmer than the weather website said it was going to be (no bitterness here), one can doodle oneself draped in that ideal outfit and pretend it all went according to plan. There is that whole world of fashion illustration besides, with those big tomes of books that are so fun to look through, not just the finished products but the patterns and little jotted ideas. The latter are almost more charming than the glossy finished artworks, but that might just be in that they are so akin to our own funny little scribbles. It seems like fashion illustration exists in this really strange place of whimsy (not to subvert it's importance or anything) that is a little bit more entrancing, at times, than photography.

Kate of little doodles has posted to the group a few times and it's so quaint and awesome! And pssst, flickr user (that's a weird term but I can't come up with a better one ASAP) interludio is one of my instant faves.

I'm also reminded of a few posts from clever nettle. Not just doodling when one is without camera but also her fantastic frocks painted for her show. There is this funny thing that happens, like drawing the clothes or objects we want but can't, for whatever reason, does somehow work to make them ours anyway. I'm feeling a bit strange at the moment since we're coming out of the second week of classes and all sorts of lectures about objects and what objects are and objects of objects and all this weirdness that makes the word 'object' look and sound really strange the more times it happens.

Not to mention Fifi Lapin.


31 comments:

  1. quaaa!
    I have to join that flickr group.
    I get a bit shy around cameras, but never around pen and paper! That fifi lapin is the best. I need to snatch up one her bags.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think one of my favorite parts is the library date stamp in the upper corner. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think one of my favorite parts is the library date stamp in the upper corner. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fun idea. When I was 10, I actually used to draw what I wore a bit, but gave that up by the time I was 11. It's too bad. I'd probably be a much better drawer if I had kept it up. I love your drawing so, so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want some to do fantasy fashion illustrations in a mural on my daughters room! Saving these for inspiration...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I have been enjoying that group too, perhaps a submission is in order!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the bunnies! I remember seeing them all over lesportsac. Your drawing is quite lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post inspired me to do my own What I Wore Today sketch. I didn't post it to Flickr, but it is up on my blog...
    craftyfashion.blogspot.com
    PS I linked you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, that is a gorgeous dress!!!
    Great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, those drawings are so cute!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. yikes, love it! you don't have to worry about lighting, making an odd face, or an unsteady camera! and i love the sentiment 'self paper-dolls'. quirky cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do that too, but my illustrations don't look nearly as nice. Maybe you should take up a side career as a children's book author. BTW, Eric Carle has a blog! (http://ericcarleblog.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOH what a neat little group! I need to try that. I had the same dilemma as you- I waffled between majoring in art or lit, but I'm so glad I chose lit. Even though I love to paint I have no actual technical skills, haha, because I've never taken an art class.. but it still makes me happy to do it. Now I want to draw cute little creatures in outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, what a cool pool! I need to start drawing more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a creative idea, to draw what you wore! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi!!i like so much ur blog!!
    please i want u to see mine and suscribe if u like it pleaseeee!!
    fashionmagazinesaddict.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely post! Dropping by. Have a nice day!

    p/s: We would like to invite all of you to join our blogging community which helps you to get more visitors to your blogs. It's totally free and you get the chance to meet other celebrity bloggers. Visit us at Blogosphere

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhh lovely, what a great idea! Your drawing looks great too :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this idea !
    http://mimietnini.canalblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. it's funny and adorable. Wearable white dress

    ReplyDelete
  22. A valuable post on happiness

    Thanks,
    Karim - Mind Power

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, I really like the drawings, so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You know what is really funny about this post is that I do the same thing as far as drawing up what I have been wearing on various days throughout the week, so that when I find an outfit I enjoy or that a friend of mine likes to see me wearing, I will always remember exactly how I have worn it :-) You have given me a great idea for a blogpost of my own now as well. I hope you don't mind if I borrow yours for inspiration :-D Thank you SOOOOOO much for posting this one!!

    ReplyDelete