Monday, July 6, 2009

Romantic Summer Hair.

I wish I had thought up something more poetic and glib for the title there, but I've just surfaced from the pool and am shriveling inside at the to-do list that's tallying up in my head. Summer hair is difficult. If you have a lot of hair it doesn't cooperate--it frizzes and curls up, or if you're like me and desperately attempt to coax your strands into curls, it falls straight and does nothing. It sticks to your neck and the sides of your face. Ponytails, refreshing and clean, get boring fast.



Braids are a solution, but it's hard to get them right! Is it harder with thick hair? I feel as though it is. Instead of delicate, winsome braids, I end up with thick sturdy things that could certainly (with some growth) serve as a proper rope into an upstairs window.



I think I've figured it out though. I still curl my hair, since that way it's alright if an end pokes out here or there because then it's a little pretty curl. These pictures are from second-day hair--I found it came out much better the day before, it was a little flat to work with the following day--but it makes me happy. I'm very low-maintenance with my hair. I cheat with pincurls (I curl the hair first and just pin the existing curl to my head), and if I can't manifest an up-do in less than 5 minutes it just isn't worth it.

My process for this is as follows:

1.) Curl hair. I like curlers, because they give you a loser, more romantic curl (I use tinier ones though, since big curlers don't give much shape).
2.) Place headband in hair. This is important, because I want it to help with the shape of the hair as it wraps around the head. I stick it in the middle so that hair hangs down in front of it.
3.) Being two messy French braids, low on the head just behind your ear. I'm talking really messy. Totally loose and not even. Braid to about half the way down your hair.
4.) Pin one braid so it doesn't unravel, and work on the second. When both are finished, just kind of grab them and twirl them together into a loose bun. Think, generally, that you want a chignon kind of look, or a bun, and just move the hair around until you estimate it looks like that. Bobby pin the crap out of it. Don't look at in the mirror till you're done, or you'll fuss over it too much and it won't look careless and breathy. Or something.



I feel odd talking about this sort of thing with any authority, but there you go. I've worn my hair like this for 4 days in a row, and it just makes my life. It hasn't been really hot here, so I guess that would be the real test, but it's working for me at the moment.

(Pictures taken by Mom.)

57 comments:

  1. romantic, easy and lovely...all swept up into a great hairstyle. thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this hair! It`s so romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love it! I'll try it out right now (um, jepp, I'm a bit bored at the moment :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks so lovely :) i wish my hair would hurry up and grow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the style. And about thick braids, well, they can be useful. Think of Rapunzel ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful! What a perfect way to wear long hair in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so so pretty. it makes me want to have long hair again. braids are the greatest things ever
    -indigo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect! Yes, I've been trying to achieve this lately myself, as well...

    Every time I think of cutting my hair short, pics like those surely stop me! ;)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!! Looks great!
    http://buttons-ribbons.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks really pretty! The headband looks great with it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh your braids are so beautiful! now i wish i had long hair! you look great! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a wonderful (and pretty!) idea. I also have very thick brown hair, so I will have to try that out! Haha I totally understand what you mean about your hair being a proper rope when you braid it.

    I also put mine up in rags (as opposed to curlers), it's easyer to sleep in and gives a looser more natural curl, and of course works wonders for thick hair :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the great tips! :D
    It looks great, I have to try to do that on my hair. I was really looking for a way to put my hair up in a romantic way, and I didn't find anything easy and satisfying, and this is perfect! :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. your braid/up do is lovely, like modern day lazy heidi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh is definitely romantic, and it's a great title for google searchers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh this is a lovely style! i wish my hair was long enough to try it :( someday though :)!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so pretty, I'll have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved pinned curls. I once saw a photo of a whole head of loosely pinned curls, sounds like it wouldn't look right, but it was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely look indeed; I think thick hair looks nicer in braids myself...fine hair just seems to slip out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. love it...i should definetaly try it..
    thanks for saring that tip with us.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh how prettyyyy! If my hair was long enough I would do it in a second. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. awesome! i'm so going to try this when the weather gets warm again...

    ReplyDelete
  24. this looks gorgeous, i always have to wear my hair in a bun when it gets too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your hair looks nice. I should try that out. I have thick hair and it always frizzes in this heat.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, I love it! I have curly hair, so its SUPER hard to find a nice summer hair-do that works for me. I tried this, and though it doesn't look quite like yours, it still is great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ugh. I've sat at my computer with your blog open for far too long, trying to describe how lovely these pictures are. I know there's a perfect word, but it eludes me. Don't you hate that?

    I have so much trouble doing anything with my hair. Thick hair is definitely hard.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You're right, such romantic summer hair. It looks so lovely atop your head and even though it sounds rather simple to do, the result looks complex!

    I haven't had long hair in years, though, and whenever I think of growing it out, I always think of how I don't know anything about proper up-dos.

    ReplyDelete
  29. how lovely. your mom takes great pictures :) i'm so done in. the weather's really pushing me to chop my locks off. i'll sleep on it a while longer... thanks for sharing these tips.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That is such a good idea! I adore the first picture, it's so romantic looking.
    I have tagged you at my blog ♥

    ReplyDelete
  31. My hair is just like yours. I will have to try this, it looks beautiful.
    belle

    ReplyDelete
  32. i have been experimenting with romantic updos for summer too - my hair gets extremely frizzy.... your do looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  33. goddess hair. love.

    thank you for this enlightening post!

    cheers,
    s

    ReplyDelete
  34. your blog is amazing! xx - kate
    http://lapetitechoue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. I totally did this two days ago for work. I can't french braid, but it looked nice with regular braids all the same. Result: lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful hair style. I wish I could do that, was it difficult to pin? I absolutely adore it, I am sick of doing my plain ol ponytail or bun :P

    ReplyDelete
  37. Gosh! Lovely, lovely knots and buns that you've done here! I am in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lovely! I'd like to try this with fresh flowers. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  39. It looks gorgeous and so lovely. I've got to try it out because my hair is really thick and pretty unruly too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. I was thinking of doing my hair in braids today. I don't do it nearly often enough. I like them though, so sweet and feminine.

    delightfully-tacky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. I feel your thick hair pain. only mine doesn't hold curls which makes lovely romantic hair easier.

    your hair on the other hand, is absolutely gorgeous. keep coming with the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Like a Bronte heroine battling the heat...

    ReplyDelete
  43. amazing hairdo! thanks for the tips
    x

    ReplyDelete
  44. very romantic and beautiful, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I forgot about braids! Thanks, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    ___________________
    Melvin
    Email Marketing Solutions

    ReplyDelete
  47. this is an amazing style! i love it!
    i just did it myself and it looks gorgeous.
    thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete