Saturday, May 30, 2009

Things of Happiness: Hanging out in Fields.

I find that when I am at a loss for inspiration, or a way to improve my general mood, it helps to spend little chunks of time madly adding favorites to flickr--then later on it's quite nice to go through them. Lately I've been particularly interested, or liking, pictures of people standing up, lying down, and sitting in fields. Somehow they're always so dream-like. It's been ages since I've been in a honest-to-goodness field--and when I'm there I can never not think of practical and frightening things like ticks--but I remember them from when I was little. They always lend themselves to pretty outfits, and there is something so appealing and mildly morose or melancholy about the back-to-the-camera ones.


1. Corinne Griffith, silent film actress, 2. grass cycle, 3. la petite fille aux coquelicots, 4. Heaven, 5. A Very Long Engagement. Jean-Pierre Jeunet (2004), 6. Language, 7. автопортрет 256й день, 8. Untitled, 9. Untitled, 10. grass-land, 11. my skirt flew up and I flashed cars driving by., 12. "The world forgetting, by the world forgot"

22 comments:

  1. I agree. I hope to be able to hang out in a field very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this does look idyllic, however I like you have a major bug phobia with fields haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. there are no magical fields where i live. it is a major dissapointment. lovely pictrues. When i think of fields I always think about a Room with A View (my favorite) and the kiss in the barley field...
    -indigo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got so happy when I saw Corinne Griffith! That's such a lovely photo of her =).

    The field behind my house is where I spend many of my summer nights. My friend and I like to picnic and camp out in the midst of it. It's always so wonderful waking up to a sunset peeking out from behind seemingly endless rolling hills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shit, now I need to go flickr some field images of my own.. These are so awesome!

    And doode, I keep on trying to get my boyfriend to take photos of me in fields but he's lazy. Grr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore field pictures. They're the perfect image of summer.

    I love posts like these--I always find such great photographers to go check out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 10, 11, and 12 are particularly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great inspiration! I specially love number 6. The colours are charming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sis is a photographer and took some pics beside our house out in the country yesterday..

    http://picasaweb.google.com/Shine4Him85/KatieInTheField

    I was her "model"... just playing around with different ideas, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  10. amazing pictures! :D thanks for sharing them <3. it's always wonderful to see photos so inspiring.

    there's a field that i love, very special to me, but i haven't been there in a long time, sadly...

    maybe i'll go back someday near :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do the same thing! I save any picture I come across so if I have trouble relaxing, sleeping,etc I just set it as my screen saver and watch the set of collected beautiful images float by :0) Nice to know someone else does this.lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've been awarded! I do hope you accept, for your blog is truly lovely :)
    Thank you,
    Ashma

    http://hereandsomewhereelse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you've found all of the best field shots around! Don't worry, I share your tick phobia, too.

    Thanks for posting these, I'm going to fave a few as well :D!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that does look lovely, The Clothes Horse tends to do this a lot as well. I lay in the grass by the ocean, but a field not for many long years.

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful! also, genius tip about the windex, thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love #3! So perfect. Of course, I, too, worry about ticks/snakes/unidentified frightening objects in the tall grass, too, ha! But it sure is nice to look at. (Also, If you're feeling so inclined, I tagged you on my blog...)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i am obsessed with frolicking in fields! it is a hobby of my friends and mine!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish so baddly that I could spend an evening in the fields. Unfortunately there aren't many local ones for me to frolick in.

    ReplyDelete