Sunday, May 17, 2009

Dyeing Dresses and Sand.







I return! Even though it's May and the water isn't anywhere near being warm enough to even walk in, I escaped to run in the sand as much as possible this weekend--even this morning, when it had rained and the sand was all damp--and to get as many smoothed shell pieces as possible. I was going to wait till tomorrow to make a post, but then it would just be too huge!

Pictured is the dress I wrote about the other day. I grabbed it at a local store, without even trying it on, just because it was so sweet. Sadly, it was quite badly stained all along the top to the waist! Since there was no time to get dry cleaned before we had to leave, and I doubted the stains would come out anyway, I tossed it in some tea and crossed my fingers that it would all match up and work! Eventually I'll get better pictures of it, but for now these will do.

This is the second time I've used tea to dye clothing (I used to toss paper in it all the time when I was a kid to make it look cool), and I take a terribly simple approach: Soak the garment in cold water for a few minutes--I get impatient so it usually only gets about five max--or soak it while you get the tea ready. I use the huge ice-tea bags you can get in the store, and I usually use about 3 of those for a large pot. Again, I'm impatient so once the tea is cooled down so I can touch it, the garment goes in! I left the dress for about an hour, maybe an hour and a half, because I forgot about it, but it worked out fine. Stir it every now and then to make sure it's all even and such. Then I pulled it out, squeezed as much out as I could, and tossed it in the washer, with some chunky salt, on rinse. So far nothing has washed out, and it's the perfect faded tea color!

It turned out wonderfully, and I love it even more now. I wore it most of the day without the cardigan, but I think it's too perfect to show it not pictured at the beach. It's tiny, if I sneeze in it the world will come to an end, but as long as I mind my breath (it's not really that bad, I exaggerate) and don't eat too much it's all fine! I'll have to reinforce the zipper soon, but in the meantime I just love it.

Oh, how I miss the beach! It was so foggy you could barely see the ocean--the waves just came out of nowhere when the broke--so the pictures of just the beach up there are from this morning when it was dreary and rainy and there was no sun. My hair was all deliciously curled and perfect, but I defied all logic and went to the beach, and it all blew out in seconds! It was sort of amazing, how fast they all went away considering my hair holds a curl well normally. It is always worth it though, for minutes there!




(Stay off the dunes! I hate when people run and jump on them. Awful!)

46 comments:

  1. These pictures are perfect, particularly the first 2! I think the beach is perfect on slightly cloudy days.

    I love the dress. I'm glad the dying worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing pictures! i love going to the beach on slightly cool, cloudy days, it always feels so calm. love your dyeing idea, i'll have to try that sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dye job!

    And beautiful photos.

    Gracie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh that beach sure looks windy! And what a good idea for dying, I may need to try that out some time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oo this dress is fantastic, true fashion at its best! its so great to read about someone who i this enthusiastic about a garment :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the colour of your cardigan! it look like such a perfect robin's egg blue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. as always, you look great!
    the dress is beautiful, i'm glad that you got it how you wanted it :D.
    that sounds like an amazing day to go to the beach. all foggy and cloudy... :D i live in Lisbon, and it's near the sea, but i never went to the beach on a day like that. i sure have to! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. i wanted to ask you, what do you use to curl your hair? my hair is naturally straight and it has the same length as yours, and i want to curl it but i don't know what would be the best way. you can answer to me on my blog, http://restless-hearts.blogspot.com, if you wish :D thank youu! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pictures are all so gorgeous--and making me want to go to the beach so badly! :) Your dress turned out lovely; I have been itching to try some tea dying lately, so this may be just the incentive I needed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dress is so wonderful and so are the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that beautiful dress and cardigan! So sweetly summery :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i want the beach so badly! tea dying a dress is such a neat idea- i too used to dye paper in it whenever i had a map-making project for school!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beach is that?

    Glad the tea dying worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you have a pretty blog :)

    kiss from Portugal***

    márcia*

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you soo much for the appreciation! :D your blog is an inspiration to me. i read it all (i mean i went to your archives and i read all of it), even before i had a blog myself. i noticed that our personalities are very much alike (if that can be said by reading a blog, of course).
    thanks for the great tips! :D they're very useful! :D i'll try to curl my hair one of these days. <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhhh now I want to tea dye a white dress or two, curse you! :D I love the color with your complexion + beach, it all looks so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. you look so lovely! i love the cloudy beach. not for swimming, though! i'm going to daytona beach, fl next week for my birthday and am really looking forward to it! can't wait to see more photos of the dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a peculiar and gorgeous dress. tea does work? interestng...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've used tea to dye clothes before! I needed an off white shirt for my Slytherin student uniform and it worked great. :D That dress looks absolutely looooovely though so yay!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your blog is so beautiful and so are your pictures! I would love to trade links. You have a fantastic look.

    <3 Miss Mae

    ReplyDelete
  21. what wonderful photos!

    I love that dress it's just adoreable!
    And how I so deeply want to go to a beach, I've never been, and it's so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I ahve created a blog spotlight post about your blog. To see it or to follow my blog, go to laurashollywoodland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. totaly like the pink-baby blue combo!!! I added you to my blogroll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I woulto try tea dying one day, it is indeed so pretty nad these shots are magical.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i ADORE that dress! what a great shade it is now; i should try to do that tea trick with stained white items. i always get something on my white shirts/dresses and i feel terrible afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  26. These pictures are so cute, I wish I was near the beach! The tea idea is amazing, I have to try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the dress! I'll have to dye something in tea now!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ah, how I would love to see the ocean again...*sigh* I'm in a sighing mood today...
    Anywho, I LOVE the idea that you dyed it in tea! I never would have thought of that! It came out really good.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Tea dying is such a good idea. I just received a dress I bought on Etsy and it's quite badly stained at the back. I'm going to try and get it out first but if that doesn't work then this is a great plan B!

    ReplyDelete
  30. also, i've given your blog an award!

    ReplyDelete
  31. The dress is adorable. I'm glad the dyeing worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  32. i'm so jealous! both the clothes and the scenery look gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  33. peaches! will expired tea bags do? i have forgotten about a box of them.. and they'll steep to a rich red, i reckon. will it look dirty instead?

    ReplyDelete
  34. i didn't know this about tea, i must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such a perfect little dress! And that location! You've given me the inspiration to attempt tea dying =)!

    ReplyDelete
  36. You look lovely. That dress is the perfect shade. I really want to go the beach too!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful photos and I like your dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. god, i love the ocean. it's interesting to see how different the east and west coast are. i should try tea dying, I have some white things that are a really harsh shade, yours turned out lovely.
    -indigo

    ReplyDelete
  39. such a lovely result! it reminds me of a pretty pastel 20s circus tent (colour-wise! i don't mean you look like you're wearing a tent!).
    i tagged you on my blog if you're interested.
    you've been gone for ages, blog-time!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love dying things with tea! I wanna try plant dyes next.

    ReplyDelete
  41. What lovely pictures and such a pretty dress!

    ReplyDelete