Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Cloche: Like Shells and Snails!


(I couldn't decide which one I liked better, so here are both! Also, randomly, these might be the most versatile tights ever. I love them so, they even have a little hole in the toe I've had to mend, and I could kick myself for not buying more of them. And they're almost 2 years old!)



I think my new loves are straw cloches. Not sure if there is supposed to be an accent somewhere on that word, or if the plural there is correct, but we will pretend that it is. Last summer I bought a straw cloche at a cute little French store in Woodstock, NY and I wore it a whole bunch. I've been looking at it sadly, longingly all winter long wanting so badly to wear it, but it's one of those things I think is only really apropo in warm weather.

Then, three (and more, but these are the three I remember while I am packing boxes, watching Harry Potter, and eating candy) of my favorite blogs: fieldguided, clever nettle, and leibemarlene all posted about boaters. Oh how glorious! I, along with many other readers I'm sure, needed one of my own!

Reminded of the squashed hats at Marc Jacobs for spring/summer 09, I trotted over to Micheal's and bought a flat looking hat in the crafty doll section, the kind I think you're supposed to glue flowers and things to and stick on a door. I attached it to a barrette and put some ribbon on it--I will photograph it later, as the glue is drying and I am just enough of a klutz to worry about getting glue in my hair!



Unfortunately, regular boaters do not like my head or face shape, and so when I found myself face-to-face with a pretty straw cloche, complete with black ribbon and a bow in the back, I had to get my grubby little hands on it. And it's just wonderful, and I have pictures of wearing it every day dancing around in my head--even if I hardly ever end up wearing it.

34 comments:

  1. I look forward to photos of your DIY boater! I can't decide what colour those tights are...? Nonetheless they look lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! The cloche is infinitely more wearable, and it has the same effect. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I just found a boater the other day and couldn't love it more! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so cute! i love how you share things worth waiting for

    ReplyDelete
  5. that cloche hat is to die for! and you look so so pretty! great light.

    thanks for the MJ reminder... those colours are now bursting around my brain, interupting dissertation thoughts ;-D

    xxxc

    http://clothestohealabrokenheart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those tights are a really lovely color. I like this hat and I can't wait to see the DIY. I've been looking for a nice summer hat, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOooo I am excited to see your creative venture! I have no luck with hats or else, terrible judgment about when a hat looks good on me and when it doesn't. I pheer, and stick to putting feathers in my hair :D You, however, look adorable, as per usual :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im not really feeling the boater hats, I like yours though. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the tights and the hat! I don't think I'd look half as cute as you if I were to wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That hat looks fantastic on you! I commented to liebemarlene about how I personally cannot seem to pull off hats, but I have enthusiasm for those who do, haha. So I've been enjoying this whole boater hat thing in a vicarious way. I can't wait to see your project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. the whole fash blogger round is up on these cute straw hats! i'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, love the hat! I can't wait to see the self- made one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Personally I think I like the shape of the cloches better anyhow. They have a much softer shape to them than the boaters. Yours is simply adorable and it goes so well with your outfit and skin tone. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that hat is amazing!! i am having a contest on my blog to win a headband, you should enter! it closes tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute! There is a great, ENORMOUS straw boater-type hat with lace and the giant bow and everything, at a vintage store here in Troy. I adore it but I have no clue where I would wear it, or with what! It's so cute though, very British school uniform/day at the lake. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to see the boater, sounds so lovel! The tights look so delicate and pretty, much better than regular black tights.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can I tell you how much you look like a lovely Dita Von Teese in those photos? Cuz you do - gorgeous outfit too!!! Wish I had the balls to pull off a hat :)

    *lusty*

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't wait to see the straw hat that you made :) Your outfit is so cute and that straw cloche is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello,

    I believe that you can say 'cloches' although it is more common to say 'cloche (straw) hats'.

    It comes from the old French for bell, which I love. They are beautiful hats. You look charming.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How did I miss this post?? Stupid Reader.

    I love the color of your tights! Versatility always adds to the greatness of a good piece.

    & that hat looks so cute on you! I can't really pull off hats very well (although I do wear beanies in the winter) and I always envy others who can! You do it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely look! You definitely wear hats so well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Once upon the time.... you look so lovely on the photos with the hat.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the comment at my site.. I definitely need a white, ruffly, girly dress. I actually had a ruffly white skirt a la that Phillip Lim dress or the Ann D. runway show this year and gave it away. I thought it was kind of trashy! If only I had known, ha!

    You should come to the Warehouse with me this Sunday! I'd love to go back :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. ive been looking for a boater too, but they dont look like they can lay one anyones head...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the hat, and I can't wait to see your boater! I swear, you don't know how badly I want one :]

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aw, you look adorable! You have a lovely face shape... so it must be the hats fault, haha :)

    IS that cloche hat from Forever 21? (Maybe I missed from where...) its adorable on you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. hats are so pratical and nice. i dont get why people arent wearing them more (:

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow that cloche straw hat is amazing!!!!!! i can't wait to see what you've done with your boater hat! i think diy stuff like that is so fantastic and you always have such wonderful stuff that im sure you'll make it fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh those straw hats are fantastic! they seem to be perfect for the countryside...i really can imagine wearing it while sitting in the fields with a great book on a sunny day...*sigh* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. que bonita! tiempo y espacio, vida y afecto...

    ReplyDelete