Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Things of Happiness: White Dresses.

Now that I'm sitting, wrapped in blankets, and watching the snow pile up into miserable little piles that obliterate the warm fifty-something degree weather of the past few weeks, I realize that a things of happiness is in order. It's funny, because I think my original idea was for it to be weekly, but I'm not very good at that kind of thing so it seems better to do it when the mood strikes. Ah!

I love white dresses. Not wedding dresses, although those are lovely too but there always seems to be so much pressure involved, but the easy, summery, gauzy white dresses that are dreamy and all sorts of other adjectives and words ending in 'y'.


1. MA14lamb, 2. twinkling fall, 3. Unknown, 4. youroldsuits, 5. ghost dress 2, 6. angelina, 7. Gutter Punk, 8. Going home for Christmas!, 9. in garden, 10. light

Thinking about it, I don't have quite as many as I thought (although I do have a handful) and I feel as though I am constantly in search of the perfect white dress. Loose, ethereal, the kind that wants wispy hair, sunlight, and butterfly nets. Also, sweaty and clingy in summer, stark against black in the winter! And I really like that they can be so debauched (I think I use that word a lot. Not entirely sure why, but it's a fun word to try and tuck into normal conversation. It's a debauched thought in itself!) with things like black stockings and something weird to make them just the tiniest bit tough.


27 comments:

  1. oo so ethereal and lovely, great idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love white dresses too! i dont know why, but they look chic and fresh at the same time :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love white dresses too! Have you watched The Virgin Suicides? The dresses the sisters wear to their prom are sooooo lovely, I want them all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too adore white dresses :D I used to wear my favorite flowy long white sundress to work with my combat boots :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know. The fact that I have no white dresses is seriously cramping my style. I must resolve this crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A white dress is right at the top of my spring/summer wishlist! I just can't find the right one...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is a thing of happiness, that's what :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm actually just wearing a white dress :) Love them, too

    ReplyDelete
  9. that dress is absolutely stunning! love it.

    http://gracioulyzoe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the contrast of an ethereal white dress with badass on the bottom half!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with you on the white dress subject. I'm still looking for the right white dress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh gorgeous! I love white dresses, not that I own one that fits me right. :-) Still hunting...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your blog, and you've a great style! you're now on my blogroll!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love white dresses too! There's something so effortlessly cute about them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey there,
    I agree w/all of the guyz here.
    White is the very pretty,clean and neat dress that a good person could wear..
    As a matter of fact,white clothes are my favorite too..=D
    Nice post friend,hope to see you too on my blog.=)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love white dresses too, and these pics are all so pretty! I had an awesome white dress with colorful flower embroidery but it's too small for me now :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Number 7 is possibly my favorite picture of the day. I love the red cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, I love white dresses as well. Summertime and a fairytale wrapped into one :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. White dresses are such a failsafe to me, especially since blondes look quite good in white (though who doesn't really) - plus in the summer it really plays up hints of colour, on your accessories and on your skin!

    My only problem I have with them is A) the seethrough factor and B) the fact that they will not be white 15 min after I wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Did you see Lacoste's F RTW Collection? It was full of fabulous whites..no dresses but you might like it! Mind you, you have probably already seen it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are lovely, you pretty girl xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. You made me realize that I also love white dresses. I don't own one, but now I'm on a mission to find one!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are all fantastic
    I am always on a search for the perfect white dress

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never owned a white dress but I am beginning to see why we might all need one in our lives!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are right, there is something so whimsical about them, isn't there? I have a floaty white one with little clear-sequinned flowers along the bottom, which always reminds me of summer. xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. i'd like to wear more white dresses this spring/summer!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I adore white dresses as well...am wondering if this rings true for many of the female persuasion for a reason that is not known to us...something subconcious, right below the surface...Interesting.

    I love to wear black stockings or tights under white dresses...it is just so liberating in a way for me.

    Lovely post, and images, and your writing is superb, always.

    happy weekend musings, lovely!

    ReplyDelete