Saturday, November 15, 2008

"They called me the hyacinth girl."









Pale, nervous girls with black-rimmed glasses and blunt-cut hair lolled around on sofas, riffling Penguin Classics provocatively... But it wasn't just intellectual experiences. They were peddling emotional ones, too. For fifty bucks, I learned, you could "relate without getting close." For a hundred, a girl would lend you her Bartok records, have dinner, and then let you watch while she had an anxiety attack.

--Woody Allen, The Whore of Mensa



10 comments:

  1. I both love and hate Woody Allen at the same time, but that quote made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looove the first picture and the Woody Allen quote. This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first picture is so nice, reminds me of being little. Love that quote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this post!
    is hyacinth girl a reference to TS Eliot by any chance? Or Woody Allen referencing TS Eliot?
    anyway, smiles all around

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah, it has to be a reference to T.S. Eliot! beautiful.

    ReplyDelete