Monday, June 9, 2008

The Painted Veil

I am a great fan of buying used DVDs at Blockbuster. This week I made a great purchase of a few movies I have been meaning to buy for years, but never got around to it, and while they are all incredibly different it is clear that the person who bought them is fond of pretty movies. I have been meaning, also, do post about The Painted Veil for a while now. It's another tragic movie where people are endlessly cruel to each other and yet I cannot stop from watching it.

I would be lying to myself and the rest of the universe if I did not admit that much of my love for this movie stems from the aesthetics of its fashions. Edward Norton's character wears smart suits which deeply appeal to me, although not as much as Naomi Watts's costumes. They are divine, from frilly and too-too dresses she wears at home, to simple shifts and blouses when overheating in the midst of a Cholera epidemic which could honestly be seen on streets today.

I just love all of it, and this present hot weather would be made so much better if only I had these clothes to walk around the house in, fanning myself with some delicate ornamented fan and carrying a sweating glass of something cool to drink.















I also must acquire a parasol. I'm not sure if I would actually use it, I don't really walk around in the sun that often, and once again I remind myself that I do not live in the sort of city that often sees that sort of thing, but it would be so wonderful that to deprive myself of it seems inexplicably silly.

10 comments:

  1. I was dying to see this in theatres and no one would go with me. I still haven't seen it, but you just reminded me that I must!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parasols are lovely! I have one from Gettysburg. I should try and post a picture of it. It did get some water stains on it, but that's what happens when you live in an old house that leaks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've just discovered your blog and am enchanted. you're going on my blog-roll and i will check in on a very regular basis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A parasol would go so well with...umm every single adorable thing you wear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What inspirational pictures. And yes, please get a parasol. It is so you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit I walked out of this film and exclaimed(after whiping the tears away!) that I had to have Kitty's wardobe! What a great post, glad that someone has covered this beautiful film.
    LM
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love parasols! I couldn't find a vintage, pale one, so I gave in and got a black one... and I used it! I was a bit self conscious at first, but then this is Oz and the sun is so strong here...

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi!!! I added your link to my blog. I really like this movie stills. Im envious of your photo quality.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just realized how this film features the prettiest outfits after reading your post. It was too emotional (read: tear-jerking) for me to notice when I watched it :p

    ReplyDelete