Wednesday, May 28, 2008

When the Personal Style Vein Wobbles.

I am all kind of out-of-sorts today. Normally when I open the store I don't get out until 3 or 4, and so I end up lazing around for the rest of the day in strange remnants of whatever it was I wore to work (tights with a t-shirt thrown on, black dress with a ridiculous bun), but today I was set loose at 1 o'clock.



I'm normally relatively fussy with my outfits. I am all about the preciously quaint and whimsical. I imagine when I'm getting dressed as being like the scene during the opening credits of The Secret Garden (my all-time favorite movie ever), only I can dress myself, when Mary is being buttoned into all sorts of frivolous under-things. Today though, I came home and played around with several new articles of clothing. The above dress is H&M, one I always eyeballed but never bought, that was on sale for an embarrassingly low price. I have one other denim dress that I love to pieces so this seemed a perfect twin. Maybe because nothing spung to mind when I first bought it, I didn't know what to wear it with. I bought a pack of these socks ages ago, and they work alright with it, but I don't feel my usual undercurrent of confidence I usually look for in outfits. I also can't wear these shoes for more than a few minutes unless I'm sitting. Oh, how I miss heels!



Next, this skirt. I am all sorts of in love with the flowers on it, although you can't really see them because I am a terrible brat and lost the light, and while my initial reaction was to wear it with a frilly blouse. I rethought. The skirt is one of those obvious runway-inspired bits from Forever21, and I do have a Batman shirt, that it's such a shame not to milk it for all it's worth. Not sure how I feel about it. Definitely not myself. I tried it with the above ankle-socks but it was just too-too for me. Perhaps I will try it with a frilly blouse and the vest.

The thing is, today I am unsure of my clothing-self. It's a dreadful feeling, like being sort of off-kilter. I suppose, like any other off thing or day really, this is the problem when one depends so greatly on clothes to set the tone.

Now to decide which outfit is good for getting ice-cream.

10 comments:

  1. I love that skirt with the flats and vest. I also love the little ankle socks in the first picture. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first outfit is so gorgeous. I like the easyness about it, really. But it's an unexpected outfit – from you. Right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you look really good!
    i love the batman shirt, i foolishly got rid of mine about 6 months ago to charity.
    what i wouldn't give to find it now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh socks and heels! I keep forgetting to try this. Do you mind if I do? I would of course tell everyone where my inspiration came from!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lady M.: Of course I don't mind! But it's not really my idea, I've mostly just seen it around and wanted to try it :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say, The Secret Garden is one of my all time favorite movies. That's the first movie that I saw and thought that moving to England would be a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like them both, but the first is my favorite. I feel sort of similar, only I'm still trying to find "my" style. I don't know if I should continue to buy my full skirts and etc or if I should push myself and go for more streamlined looks. Why are clothes so important for who I am???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I'm surprised at how cute the ankle socks are. I think you're right that they would be too much for the second outfit, but they really add something to the first one. They're quite flirtatious. :)

    I also share your love for The Secret Garden! The Little Princess is another favorite. I always wanted all of her clothes and dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first H&M dress looks so good on you. Best looking ankle socks I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the ankle socks look adorable on you.

    ReplyDelete