Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Things of Happiness: Dolls.

A few weeks ago my boyfriend and I were taking our usual stroll through H&M. After picking up several pieces myself and proclaiming my approval of them, he picked out some things he thought I'd like, and I was pleased as punch that he was spot on!

"Basically," he said, laughing, "if it looks like a doll would wear it, you like it."

I have to admit, it's true. Part of it is my love of all things girly and frivolous, not to mention the strong sense of nostalgia not only for my own childhood, but for things and times I wasn't present for (or, my romanticist view of how things were). I do love dolls though. I had a lot of them when I was younger, but I admit I wasn't a huge Barbie fan. Probably because she always ended up naked and I lost her shoes; I had more My Little Ponies.

I do remember having a very strong attraction to old dolls. I had a porcelain doll I used to play with, until I dropped her on the kitchen floor and her face was smashed, one favorite baby doll (which I later 'mummified' when I went through an obsessed-with-ancient-Egypt phase), American Girl Dolls (Oh I miss them!), and of course, fancy dolls I wasn't allowed to play with.

Every year until I was 10 my grandmother bought my a Madame Alexander doll. I loved them, and for years they lived in their blue floral boxes under my parents bed and were only taken out every now and then. Finally, we bought a doll case for them.




Romeo & Juliet




Beth (Little Women) and Bonnie Blue


Scarlett O'Hara and Snow White

I have 11 or 12 in total, though these are my favorites. I used to take the hats of Romeo and Juliet and put them on my cats (who were named Romeo and Juliet), which explains why I wasn't allowed to take the dolls out often.

Dolls have always been kind of creepy, especially the ones you aren't allowed to play with, and old ones seem to be the most frightening. We have one in the case, I have no idea where it came from, who is really delicate but really frightening. I think the eyes might have fallen out, and her head is not attached (I prop it up on her neck), although her dress is very nice. I didn't take any pictures of her since she scares me, although now she's probably going to be angry and come alive at night and do something creepy.

I'm going to have to tough it up soon, between being inspired by fairy tales and dolls I'm going to turn back into a 5-year-old!

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. I had to giggle a lot. Thanks, little dolly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dolls too, I bought all those Blythe Dolls and people were telling me they look freakish with their big eyes

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh! how fun to read about your dolls! I used to have quite a few dollies; I'm not quite sure where they all are at this point... I admit, I still rather like them--even as a "big girl". :) there is something rather fun and girlish about taking them out every-once-in-a-blue-moon; makes me think about when I was little (and more carefree... haha!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. my mom has a porcelain doll collection that became mine when i was younger, and she and other relatives contributed to it on birthdays and holidays as i got older. i was way into barbie as a little one, but this post got me thinking about the all those other dolls i have on display at home..

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do have a doll-like look! I never got dolls, my oldest sister got "boy" toys, the next got tons of gorgeous porcelain dolls (which I begged for every year) and I got art supplies. I still really want a Blythe Doll.

    ReplyDelete