Monday, May 19, 2008

Reversal of Seasons.

I find I am quite lazy these days. I attribute this to the end of classes, the lingering feeling that there is something that needs attention, that a critical essay must be read, but there is nothing! The weather lately has fallen into something chilly, not at all like the funny summer-weather days that previewed weeks ago, like a kind of false-fall. It makes me want things that are dark, veiled, covered things, inky-blotty colors and runny edges.




I knew her for a little ghost
That in my garden walked;
The wall is high -- higher than most --
And the green gate was locked.

And yet I did not think of that
Till after she was gone --
I knew her by the broad white hat,
All ruffled, she had on.

By the dear ruffles round her feet,
By her small hands that hung
In their lace mitts, austere and sweet,
Her gown's white folds among.

I watched to see if she would stay,
What she would do -- and oh!
She looked as if she liked the way
I let my garden grow!

She bent above my favourite mint
With conscious garden grace,
She smiled and smiled -- there was no hint
Of sadness in her face.

She held her gown on either side
To let her slippers show,
And up the walk she went with pride,
The way great ladies go.

And where the wall is built in new
And is of ivy bare
She paused -- then opened and passed through
A gate that once was there.

The Little Ghost, Edna St. Vincent Millay







I am also unaccountably craving experiments in lingerie. I feel like that is a terribly subversive sentence, full of all sorts of vaguely debauched sentiments, only not really. I've never been terribly interested in lingerie, especially as it applies to outerwear but all of the sudden I am all about it. Last week I found a pile of ebay auctions of 1930s underthings in peachy colors with all kinds of pretty lace and funny straps and snaps and things. I've lost the link, although I know it is here somewhere, and I suddenly want piles of delicate things to wear in sweaty summer situations.








(This, clearly, has nothing to do with anything in this post, aside from the fact that it's terribly enjoyable).

8 comments:

  1. Is that an illustration from Edmund Dulac?! It looks lovely, and everything about it is so quaint but fantasmical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been in the same mood lately (though summer semester just started, so my break is already over! ;). and the dreary weather isn't helping me any! I've been dying to get my hands on some pretty, vintage lingerie as well... I was rummaging around in my "stash" of vintage yesterday and found a gorgeous, pink and lace nightgown. I think if I shortened it, it would make a splendid top. there is something so beautiful and delicate, and well... feminine about wearing lingerie-like items (whether or not its intended to show). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the suberversive element lingere experimentation would offer to my wardrobe, but I am afraid to bare it at my conservative school...some lines should not be crossed at present.

    ReplyDelete
  4. all of these photos are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i always love the photos and illustrations you use and the lingerie you described sounds gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I came across your blog and fell in love it immediately. Everything is just sooooo pretty and beautiful. I love you put them together in a really thought-after order! Purely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edna St. Vincent Millay is one of my favorite poets. Have you ever read "An Ancient Gesture"? (I named my blog after it :)

    I've had the urge to buy lingerie a lot lately too for some reason. I always feel lovely and decadent whenever I wear it.

    That last photo is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, the photos are so inspiring & sweet, I love them all!^^

    ReplyDelete