Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Gothic Novel.



(This picture looked wonderfully clear on my laptop at home, but now that I am using a campus computer it is not so. Bummer.)

This morning nothing was working quite right. It started pouring rain, so it was a day of sneakers instead of flats, and it is one of those days where I can't seem to get myself into the swing of dressing. I went with my stand-by striped shirt under a dress with black tights to avoid having to think too much about anything at all. I feel like Lydia from Beetlejuice. It's the black lace and the stripes do it, the latter especially since anything stripey like that gets tagged 'Tim Burton' in my brain.




She is wearing a spider as a pin on her blazer. I love that!

This was all compounded by a surreal event this morning that made me feel like I should be in some strange indie film about a weird girl (then again, don't most of us feel like that?). Armed with my umbrella I stood in the center of my driveway, frozen in place and making that apropo :O face, at the 20 or 30 crows that were screaming and assembling themselves across the grassy knoll in the middle of my street. On the ground, two struggling crows flailed and rolled. It was raining, and my inner, supressed, macabre poet noted that it looked like two wet umbrellas fighting.

It was very strange. I stood there for a few moments, trying to work it out before opening the door again and calling dad, who came out with his umbrella (which looks like the one the penguin uses in Batman Returns only as far as I know dad doesn't use it to shoot people)and he stood with me for a few minutes also watching the scene. At this point the wet birds were lying in a lump on the ground and dad and I were sure one of them was dead. Every few seconds it would move pathetically. Dad walked over across the street, I deposited my bags in my car and followed suit, which I am sure looked strange since we bobbed along with out umbrellas in a two-person line before stopping before the crows.

Who immedietly took off in a frightening display worthy of The Birds. It turns out the two crows were fighting, holding on to the other waiting for one to give up. It was really strange, and I was late for class. Somehow I thought it all fit with my outfit, and for now it fits nicely into my drawer of stories-with-no-point, and I'm sure it can be all kinds of symbolic and stuff (I am a dork for symbolism) but mostly I think it was just weird and picturesque.

We also have a shoe at work that looks like this:



sculpture from Beetlejuice, or at least I keep thinking that whenever I look at it, but it's not on the website yet so I cannot show you that it is, in fact, the same thing. I will take a picture of it at work later. The resemblence is remarkable.

Edit: Proof.


Sulliban at Nine West

Uncanny, I tell you.

6 comments:

  1. awww, I have been reading the blog on my google reader - so less commenting but I love your girly style - dresses are always bestest!
    hailey@stylesymmetry

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girlfriend has the same style as you do, its sort of scary!? She wore white tights instead and Polka Dot Keds that she got here http://www.shoemall.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=291722&categoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&typeId=0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice:) gosh, i love this movie. you look great! wonderful outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny!^^ Beetlejuice is one of my favourite movies!!! And I love Winona Ryder

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is from a billion years ago but in the Sandman comic a character reveals the secret of why crows fight in a circle while the others watch, and it hadn't really occurred to me that this was a common occurrence. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete